Construction Guidelines

To ensure Council assets are not damaged during any building work, we require that an Asset Protection Permit be obtained and all fees paid prior to building.

When you lodge a building permit application with your building surveyor, they will notify Council of your application and we will send you an Asset Protection permit pack.

The permit pack contains the permit (including any conditions), an invoice for the permit fee and the security bond, an application form that must be completed (and returned to Council) including details of person/s paying fees and a request for final inspection.

If you have your building permit and are ready to commence building works but have not received your Asset Protection permit pack, you need to notify us so that a permit pack can be sent to you.

Why Asset Protection is required
Asset Protection assists us to ensure that public assets (such as road, lanes, footpaths, kerbs, drainage pits, nature strips, etc.) and infrastructure are not damaged as a result of any building work being carried out in the municipality. The permit also ensures accountability is taken for the repair or reinstatement of any damage that may occur to our assets during the carrying out of building work in a timely manner.

Any damage to a Council asset during construction must be immediately reported.

Once Council is notified of proposed construction work, we will undertake an inspection of the assets adjoining the property and document any preexisting damage that may exist. This information will be used to compare to the condition of Council assets at the completion of work.

Any damage to a Council asset during construction must be immediately reported to Council.

Further Information
Building Services
Phone 8470 8899

Once all building works are complete, you can submit a Request for Final Inspection together with a copy of the Occupancy Permit/Certificate of Final Inspection from the building surveyor.

When we receive the application, an inspection of Council assets will be undertaken. Any damage identified during this inspection will be referred to the permit holder. Repair of the identified damage within must be done within 30 days of receipt of notification.

Should the repair work not be undertaken within this time, Council will undertake the work from the Bond and any remaining money will be refunded. Any additional funds required to cover the cost of the repair work in addition to the amount retained in the Bond will be invoiced to the permit holder.

Further Information
Building Services
Phone 8470 8899

Owners and developers are responsible for ensure all buildings are fitted with smoke alarms and have stormwater drainage

Stormwater Drains
Drains and pipes that collect water on private property belong to the property owner. Owners are responsible for their drains up to the point of connection to the Council drain or kerb and channel, known as the legal point of discharge.

The legal point of discharge is a point specified by Council where stormwater from a property must be discharged. The point is usually Council’s stormwater drain where available, or street kerb and channel, or may require design and construction of outfall drainage to Council’s closest drain via easement, nature strip, footpath or road. For Stormwater drainage requirements refer to our Design Guidelines.

We provide direction on the legal point of discharge for both existing properties and the redevelopment of residential, commercial and industrial developments.

How to Apply:

  1. The easiest way to apply is online, select Stormwater - Legal Point of Discharge Application.
  2. Alternatively, you can complete the Stormwater - Legal Point of Discharge Application Form by post or in-person. Attach any relevant information with fee.

Apply Online

You will receive a report in the mail within 10 business days.

Further Information
Capital Works
Phone 8470 8675

Smoke Alarms 
Smoke alarms are compulsory in all residential buildings including houses, units, flats, boarding houses, hostels and accommodation for the aged.  All smoke alarms must be connected to the mains power with a battery back-up. For further information check out the Smoke Alarm Requirements Information Sheet.

If the building was constructed prior to 1 August 1997, battery operated smoke alarms are acceptable. It is important that your smoke alarms are checked and maintained on a regular basis. All smoke alarms must comply with Australian Standard AS3786. If you do not comply with the Building Regulations you face penalties and fines.

Smoke alarms must be installed on or near the ceiling of every storey of a building. Smoke alarms are intended to detect smoke before it reaches people sleeping in a building. The smoke alarm must be located in a position designed to wake sleeping occupants up and in time to evacuate a building.

A smoke alarm must be located between each area containing bedrooms and the remainder of the building such as hallways or within 1.5m of the entrance to each bedroom.

An alarm is required on every storey, located in the path of travel people will most likely take to evacuate the building. This will ensure an alarm is activated before smoke makes the common exit path impassable. Alarms must be centrally located and audible to all areas not immediately connected to the main story.

Further Information
Customer Service
Phone 8470 8888

Additional guides
Council utilises the Keeping our Stormwater Clean - Builders Guide from the EPA and Melbourne Water. This document outlines the responsibilities of builders and owners, noting that heavy penalties apply for breaches that occur. All people entering the work site (e.g. contractors, site foreman, builders, etc.) must make themselves aware of these requirements. You can obtain a copy by contacting us or by downloading a copy from the EPA.