Green Business Network
The next Green Business Network event is Charles Sandford, a leader in sustainable manufacturing, on Thursday 26 November from 12:00 – 1:00pm. This is a free event with lunch provided and will be held at Charles Sandford Wood Turning and Joinery, 6 & 8 Bellevue Crescent, Preston.
Join Charles Sandford in a tour and talk about how they have implemented smart, practical solutions to save on materials, energy and waste. This includes the installation of a 32 kw solar power system.
This event will also include an update on Darebin City Council’s 2015/16 Solar $aver program for businesses, and provide the chance for businesses to network and share ideas.
The Green Business Network meets bi-annually within local businesses showcasing their sustainable actions and initiatives. It is a chance to network, share ideas, inspiration and resources. Register your interest in joining the network and/or being notified of upcoming events and RSVP for this event to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 8470 8344 by 19 November 2015.
We offer a fortnightly business recycling service for a one off fee of $90 per 240 litre bin, with a maximum of two bins available. All items recyclable in the Darebin residential recycling bins are accepted.
To order your bin(s) complete the on-line order form.
Light$mart – Energy Efficient Lighting Program
You can save $1,350 a year on your electricity bills. That’s the average amount that the 75 businesses who upgraded their lights through the Darebin Light$mart Program have saved.
Light$mart works with local businesses, organisations and practitioners to retrofit and install energy efficient lighting. Council is offering a rebate of up to $1,000 on LED lighting upgrades. To find out more please contact email@example.com.
Check out what some Light$mart businesses are already doing.
Darebin Fridge Timer Program
If you have fridges that contain non-perishable items you could be saving between $390 - $470 a year by switching them off when your business is closed. We are offering food and beverage businesses free fridge timers to reduce electricity consumption. To receive a free fridge timer, contact your local Environmental Health Officer phone: 8470 8658.
We are Greening our Business
Is your business recycling and working to reduce energy consumption, water usage and waste? If so, do you have your ‘we are greening our business’ sticker and are you listed and promoted in our Green Business Directory?
The ‘we are greening our business’ stickers have been developed to recognise and celebrate the effort you are making to reduce your environmental impact. A certificate can accompany the sticker to let your customers and peers know about your efforts.
- Bronze, silver or gold stars are allocated to mark each area of action (lighting, energy efficiency, water, waste, food, chemicals, transport, and sustainable products). The more actions you take, the more stars you get.
- Colour of the star indicates how comprehensive your action has been.
If you have taken action to reduce your environmental footprint and would like to participate in the program, please contact us.
• Stars are gold for business – Preston Leader article
• We are Greening our Business – certificate sample
Darebin Green Business Directory
The businesses listed the Darebin Green Business Directory include cafes, accountants, osteopaths, mechanics, solar power installers . They are all working to operate more sustainably or are offering ‘green’ products and services that can help you reduce your environmental impact.
Green Business Support
If your business sells ‘green’ products or services, or is actively working to reduce energy consumption, water usage and waste, in addition to joining our Green Business Network and Directory you can access our free business support training and mentoring.
Attracting Green Businesses
Green Business Attraction Strategy outlines how Council is planning to increase the number of green businesses in Darebin.
Tips and resources
The following websites offer some great tips and resources:
• Positive Charge – the top five energy saving tips for businesses in retail, cafés or restaurants, hotels or motels, manufacturers, office or professional organisations.
• Positive Charge – short videos on how to cut the cost of your energy bills.
• Energy Efficiency Assist – short videos covering topics such as energy efficiency, optimisation and management, and energy saving technologies/options.
• Carbon Compass – improve your energy efficiency, reduce costs and lower carbon emissions by providing real and practical information. Links to grants and funding are also provided.
If you own or lease a commercial office take a look at CitySwitch. It’s a high-value no-cost service that helps commercial office tenants improve office energy efficiency.
Sustainable Business Officer
Ph: 8470 8550