To establish if you require a planning permit you should contact the Planning Department on 8470 8850 between the hours of 8:45am – 4:45pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
In determining if a planning permit should be issued for the development, we may take into consideration:
- If the development responds to the surrounding built form and environment;
- If the impacts on the surrounding and nearby properties are reasonable; and
- If sufficient car parking, loading bay and bicycle facilities have been provided.
Benefits of pre-application meetings
Pre-application meetings are helpful in identifying key issues that may be important to the future use of the property. The intention of the meeting is to conduct an open and productive forum whereby all parties work towards a high quality outcome. Pre-application meetings should also give some level of certainty about the outcome of the application to ensure a smoother and more efficient process of the application.
Advice given in a pre-application meeting
Pre-application meetings are not able to investigate every detail covered through the formal assessment process once the application is lodged. Given the time available and the level of detail it is impossible to give a thorough assessment at this stage. We give advice in good faith and we are not bound in any future decisions.
Types of applications appropriate for pre-application meetings
Any type of development is appropriate for pre-application meetings. However, we strongly encourage applications that may fall into the following categories:
- Medium to large scale commercial developments
- Applications that involve complex issues requiring strategic or policy direction.
Pre-application meeting topics
At the meeting you can discuss such issues as:
- Initial concepts
- Detailed design aspects
- Any other requirements
Our planning officers will give their professional opinion on the proposal and provide guidance where possible. However, it must be remembered that the meeting is not intended to pre-empt the outcome of the application. Once the planning application is lodged it will need to undergo a thorough assessment against the provisions of the Darebin Planning Scheme.
Preparing for a pre-application meeting
Preparation is essential! The quality of advice given depends on the level of detail and accuracy of the information presented to the planner. It is essential the you research the proposal and identify relevant issues to raise at the meeting.
You should provide as much detail as possible about the proposal. The following checklist may be of assistance.
- A full copy of title that is no more than three months old
- Photographs of the site and the surrounding area in particular the neighbouring adjacent properties and the streetscape and any significantly sized vegetation
A neighborhood and site description plan showing:
- Existing buildings on site
- Location of buildings on at least four adjoining properties (including habitable room windows and private open space areas).
- A concept plan at 1:100 showing detail such as the proposed building footprint at all storeys, window placement and the internal layout of all buildings. And also including the following:
- Earthworks – any cut and fill and possible locations for retaining walls.
- Location of existing vegetation.
- Location of car parking facilities and vehicle access arrangements.
- Location of crossovers existing and proposed crossovers.
- Concept design of elevations at 1:100.
It is highly recommended that you attend a pre-application meeting with all of the above information required to give a reasonable understanding of the proposal by the planner. This will assist the planner to give more accurate and useful advice for your project. The above documentation may require the services of a consultant to assist in their preparation and to facilitate the application process.
It is intended that the planner that you have the pre-application meeting with will manage the application once it is lodged; however, this is not always guaranteed due to staff movement or workloads.
Location of pre-application meetings
Pre-application meetings are held at Darebin City Council, 274 Gower Street Preston. A meeting will need to be booked ahead of time to ensure the availability of a planner and meeting room. This can be made by contacting the Planning Department on 8470 8850 between the hours of 8:45am – 4:45pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
Prior to lodging an application
You should ensure you have provided all of the information required by using the Commercial and Industrial Checklist.
If you are constructing or extending a commercial or industrial building you may be required to pay a development contribution to the City of Darebin before a Building Permit is issued. The Development Contribution will be invoiced after a Planning Permit has been issued for the development.