Have you spotted any dumped rubbish on the road, in a park, or on Council land? If so, please report the issue to us so we can investigate it further.
What is Litter?
Litter forms a serious sign of pollution and can cause injury to people and wildlife. It also encourages pest animals such as rats and mice to spread of germs and disease.
Littering is a serious offence and heavy fines may be issued to offenders under the Environment Protection Act 1970 and Darebin Council’s Local Law 2015. Council's Litter Investigations Officers are authorised to issue on the spot fines to offenders.
Litter remains one of our major environmental problems. Litter and littering includes:
- Anything left where it is not meant to be
- Rubbish and furniture put on roadsides or outside shops (including charity shops)
- Spoil and other building materials outside of a construction site
- Rubbish and litter thrown from motor vehicles
- Cigarette butts
- disposing household or business rubbish in a public litter bin
- Advertising material placed under windscreen wipers
- Bill posters
- For more information please see EPA Victoria.
If you witness someone dumping waste illegally or littering, record the location, date, time and other important details (e.g. car registration) and report it to Darebin Council Customer Service at 8470 8888
What can you do?
- Call Darebin Customer Service and book in a hardwaste collection to dispose of your unwanted household goods appropriately. You are entitled to two collections a year (conditions apply)
- Take your unwanted items to Resource Recovery Centre
Darebin have a resource recovery Centre that is open 7 days a week to accept different sorts of rubbish and waste
For further information please visit the Resource Recovery Centre (Tip)
Donating to Charity Stores
Donations to Charity Stores can only be donated during the store opening hours. Penalties will apply to any person found illegally dumping items outside of the store.
Further information on donating to Charity Stores can be found via the following links: