Visit the Library:
We are happy to announce that all Darebin Libraries locations are open! You can now visit and stay for longer periods of time. We are also pleased to be offering extended opening hours at Northcote and Preston.
Physical distancing, hand hygiene and contact tracing requirements remain in place and you must wear a mask inside the library (unless exempted by law). For more information about visiting the library, please see the Darebin Libraries website.
You can continue to access our many online resources with your membership details via our digital library, renew items online, through the App, or by calling us during business hours on 1300 655 355. You can also continue to return items via our chutes at all four library locations. For further updates about our library service during COVID-19, please see the Library Service Updates page, find us on Facebook or call 1300 655 355.
Free Wifi is available around our libraries and in our major shopping strips.
For information about other Council services visit Darebin City Council's Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates page.
Darebin Libraries are so much more than a place to simply browse and borrow. At each of our libraries in Fairfield, Northcote, Preston and Reservoir we offer a welcoming space for learning, knowledge, inspiration and adventure. In any of our four branches you can explore local and family history, find a place to study or entertain yourself with our large digital and physical collection of books, movies, music, audiobooks, newspapers, and magazines. Visit the Darebin Libraries website to search the online catalogue, upcoming events, digital library and much more.
Membership of Darebin Libraries is free and available to everyone! You can join online today to start borrowing from our digital library. Once you have registered online, use the temporary ID and the 6-digit PIN you created to begin using our wide range of online resources. To collect your library card and start using our services in person, pop in to one of our of our library branches during opening hours and make sure you bring ID which shows your current address. For more information please visit the Joining page of our website.
Listen, read, watch and learn at home or on the go with our Digital Library, open 24 hours a day 7 days a week! If you need help getting started on your computer, eReader, tablet or smartphone today give us a call on 1300 655 355.
Libraries members can enjoy our wide range of digital resources which includes:
- eBooks, eAudiobooks and eComics
- Music and video streaming
- Magazines, newspapers and journals from around the world
- Kids Resources - educational games, homework help, reading content and more
- Online learning tools
- Resources to help you learn English and other languages
- Encyclopedias and reference tools
- Reading ideas & recommendations
Due to COVID-19 our events are being offered in new online formats, including our well-loved regular events Rhyme Time, Storytime and Conversation Café and new regular events Makers Corner and Monthly Book Chat.
There are also a host of special events online every month including author talks, workshops, arts and crafts activities and so much more. To view our upcoming special events please visit Eventbrite.
If you want to stay up to date on library news and events sign up to our eNewsletter.
Home Library Service
A home delivery service is available for members of the Darebin community of any age who are:
- Unable to visit the library for reasons of age, illness or disability
- Aged care facility residents
- Full-time carers unable to visit the library during opening hours
- Children whose guardian is unable to visit the library
If you are interested in this service please call 1300 655 355 or complete an online enquiry form.
In each of our branches we have a large physical collection available for reading and borrowing including:
- Fiction and Non-fiction books
- Large Print Books
- Magazines and Newspapers
- Graphic Novels
- CDs and DVDs
- Audio Books
- Youth fiction, DVDs, magazines and graphic novels
- Children's fiction, non-fiction, CDs, DVDs, graphic novels, talking books and magazines
- Community Language collections in Arabic, Italian, Chinese, Greek and Vietnamese
Darebin Libraries App
The Darebin Libraries App gives you easy access to your library account, a digital copy of your library card and even links the accounts of family members to manage or renew your items. Use the catalogue search bar to easily find a title and reserve straight from your device. You can also browse and access our entire digital library through the App, which includes eBooks and eAudiobooks.
The Darebin Libraries App is available to download free
from your device’s app store today.
Visit Darebin Heritage our local history website, with over 1000 articles on Darebin's history, a collection of photographs, historical newspapers, oral histories and even fun local history activities for children.
Facilities & Services
In addition to our physical and digital collections Darebin Libraries offer a variety of facilities and services to help support the wider Darebin community:
- Computer & internet access, including Wi-Fi
- Accessibility PCs
- Colour and black & white photocopying, printing and scanning (fees apply)
- Local history and family history resources
- Family History PC’s at Preston Library
- Meeting rooms for hire
- Community Art Spaces
- Gaming consoles
Darebin Library Locations
- Fairfield Library - 121 Station St, Fairfield
- Northcote Library - 32-38 Separation St, Northcote
- Preston Library - 266 Gower St, Preston
- Reservoir Library - 23 Edwardes St, Reservoir
Phone: 1300 655 355 Website: darebinlibraries.vic.gov.au Facebook: Darebin Libraries Facebook