Darebin Council Logo
Skip Links
Johnson Park

Johnson Park

Bastings Street, Northcote
Melway Reference: 20 H9

Johnson Park is a popular large neighbourhood park of almost two hectares. The land Johnson Park occupies was purchased by the former city of Northcote in 1859.

This formal heritage park is valued for the significance of its mature trees, garden beds, entrance structures and exciting children's playground.

Download the Masterplan and Management Plan below for further details.

Activities

Johnson Park has large areas of lawn and mature trees ideal for picnics. Also included in the park are a large rotunda picnic area, barbecue facilities, toilets and a good playground for both young children and teenagers. The playground includes spider web, swings, challenging climbing frames and slides.

Accessibility

Disability access icon

Johnson Park has on-street residential parking available on Basting Road and Palmer Street. There is a good path around the outer edge of this park with good crossovers.

For detailed accessibility information visit Johnson Park on the Parks and Reserves Directory.

History

The land where Johnson Park stands today belonged to the Wurundjeri-Willampatriliny people. In 1913, five acres was bought in Bastings Street on the flat low-lying basalt soils between Rucker Hill and Darebin Creek. Originally known as the East Ward Park, it was slowly transformed into what was to become Johnson Park today.

Further Information

Information icon

Open Space Planning
Ph: 8470 8888

Powered by