MEDIA RELEASE, 12 July 2012
A new, updated picture of the City of Darebin is now available through the first release of the 2011 Census data.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Darebin has an Estimated Residential Population of 141,791 people, up from an estimated 133,644 people in 2006. The Census data shows that 51.3 per cent of our population is female and 48.7 per cent is male. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people make up 0.8% of the population.
The most common religion in Darebin in 2011 was Catholicism, with 29 per cent, which is a drop from the 2006 figure of 32.1 per cent. The results also show that more Darebin residents identify as having ‘no religion’, which has risen significantly since 2006.
Darebin residents come from many countries, with only 60 per cent of us having been born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were Italy (5.3 per cent), Greece (3.7 per cent), and India (3.3 per cent). China and England were also common.
These results show that while Italy and Greece are still the top countries of birth after Australia, the percentage of people who were born in India and China has increased since 2006, while the percentage of people born in England has fallen slightly.
The following profiles of Darebin can be accessed through Council’s website:
• Basic Community Profile – Find out about individual and family demographics, composition and selected characteristics as well as data on dwellings
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (Indigenous) Profile – Demographic data of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population
• Time Series Profile – Compare data over time, all the way back to the 2001 Census
• Place of Enumeration Profile – A snapshot of Darebin on the Census night
• Expanded Community Profile – More detailed data on specific characteristics
Further releases of the 2011 Census data are scheduled for October and November 2012 and will include data on employment, occupation, levels of education, income and other characteristics.2011 Census QuickStats for Darebin.2011 Census Darebin Community Profile Tables
For further information, contact Shanaka Perera on 8470 8337 or email@example.com.
Communications & Public Affairs
Ph: (03) 8470 8511