Members of the public can lodge questions for Council to answer or make a Comment or Submission prior to a specific item listed on the Agenda of an Ordinary Council meeting.
Members of the public may ask up to three (3) questions at an Ordinary Council meeting.
Questions submitted online will be responded to in the first instance. If you are not present at the meeting, the Chairperson will read the question and provide a response.
The Chairperson may then take questions from members in the gallery, if the meeting is open to the public.
Questions from the gallery must be submitted in writing to the Council Officer in attendance in the gallery prior to the commencement of the meeting.
Any question not answered at the meeting will be taken on notice and a written response will be provided to the person asking the question.
In accordance with the Council Meeting Governance Rules (Meeting Procedure and Common Seal Local Law), the Chairperson may disallow a question if it:
- relates to a matter outside the duties, functions or powers of Council;
- is defamatory, indecent, abusive, offensive, irrelevant, trivial or objectionable in language or substance;
- may lead to a breach of Council’s statutory obligations;
- relates to a Notice of Motion, Petition or item of urgent business;
- deals with a subject matter already answered;
- was not received by the deadline (i.e. 12.00 noon on the day of the meeting);
- is aimed at embarrassing a Councillor or an Officer; or
- deals with a matter that should be, or has been, considered as a confidential matter or relates to any matter in respect of which Council may close the Meeting to the public under section 66 of the Act.
SUBMISSIONS OR COMMENTS
Members of the public may make a comment or 2 minute submission on a matter listed on the Agenda prior to the item being debated.
Persons wishing to submit a ‘Submission’ to an item on the agenda may do so online by 12.00 noon on the day of the meeting via the Question and Submissions form.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION OR MAKE A COMMENT OR SUBMISSION
Members of the public who wish to ask a question, or make a comment or submission to an agenda item at an Ordinary Council Meeting, may register their question or submission before 12.00 noon on the day of the meeting in one of the following ways:
- online at darebin.vic.gov.au/questionsandsubmissions; or
- by mail to PO Box 91, Preston 3072
The lodgement of a question or registration to make a comment or submission should include the name, address and contact telephone number of the individual. This will allow Council officers to follow up your question or submission, if required.
Alternatively, a member of the public may attend on the day of the meeting to ask their question or make submission to Council, if the Meeting is open to the public.
No member of the public can make a submission/comment to a Notice of Motion presented at a Council meeting.
Council meetings can be viewed online at the Watch Council and Planning Committee meetings page.
The Agenda for each meeting is available for viewing on Council's website at the Meeting Agendas and Minutes page up to 6 days prior to the date of the meeting. Copies are also available at Customer Service centres and libraries.