Question and Submission Time is an opportunity for members of the public to ask questions of the Council at our fortnightly ordinary Council Meetings.
Members of the public can lodge questions for Council to answer or make a Comment or Submission prior to a specific item listed on the Agenda of an Ordinary Council meeting.
Members of the public can ask up to two (2) questions at an Ordinary Council meeting.
Questions submitted online will be responded to in the first instance. If you are not present at the meeting, the Chairperson will read the question and provide a response. The Chairperson may then take questions from members in the gallery.
Any question not answered at the meeting will be taken on notice and a written response will be provided to the person asking the question.
In accordance with the Darebin Governance Local Law, the Chairperson may disallow a question if it:
- is defamatory, indecent, abusive, offensive, irrelevant, trivial or objectionable in language or substance; or
- deals with a subject matter already answered; or
- is aimed at embarrassing a Councillor or an officer.
If you are unable to submit your question prior to the Ordinary Council meeting, the Chairperson may take questions from the floor.
COMMENTS OR SUBMISSIONS
Members of the public may make a comment or 2 minute submission on a matter listed on the Agenda prior to the item being debated.
A person who is unable to stay at the meeting until the Agenda item is heard, may make their comment or submission during Question Time.
HOW TO LODGE YOUR QUESTION OR REGISTER TO MAKE A COMMENT OR SUBMISSION
Members of the public who wish to ask a question, or make a comment or submission to an agenda item, at an Ordinary Council meeting are encouraged to do so in one of the following ways:
- Online via the Questions and Submissions form by 3pm on the day of the Council meeting.
- By email to Q&S@darebin.vic.gov.au by 3pm on the day of the Council meeting;
- In person at the Preston Customer Service Centre, 274 Gower Street, Preston; or
- By mail to PO Box 91, Preston 3072; or
- With a Council officer prior to the commencement of the Council meeting.
The lodgement of a question or registration to make a comment or submission should include the name, address and contact telephone number of the individual. This will allow Council officers to follow up your question or submission, if required.
Council meetings can be viewed at the Watch Council and Planning Committee meetings page.
The Agenda for each meeting is available for viewing on Council’s website at the Meeting Agendas and Minutes page by 5pm, up to 6 days prior to the date of the meeting. Copies are also available at Customer Service centres and libraries.