For property owners facing difficulties, we've created a Financial Hardship Policy to provide relief.

If your income has been impacted by the pandemic and you can’t pay your rates, you can:

  • Set up a payment plan to help manage the payments
  • Defer payment until 30 June 2021 with no interest

Rate amounts owing prior to the 28th February 2020 will continue to accrue interest. No interest will be charged on the 4th Instalment owing from 2019/2020. You will continue to receive your rate instalment notices during the year which will show you the balance owing. If you can make part payments at any time, please do so, as this will reduce what you owe in the future. Any amount can be paid.

For more information and to set up a payment plan, please contact Council on 8470 8888 or email mypaymentplan@darebin.vic.gov.au. If you wish to defer your payment until 30 June 2021, you don’t need to contact Council.


You can view the Financial Hardship Policy here.

Rate capping was introduced by the State Government from 2016/2017 financial year.

Under this new system, Victorian councils cannot increase their rates revenue above those set by the Minister for Local Government each year without seeking an exemption.

For 2019/2020 financial year, the State Government has capped the rate increase at 2.5%. This means, councils can only increase the total revenue they raise through rates by up to 2.5% more than the previous year.

We have elected to apply the 2.5% increase rather than seek an exemption from the capped rate for this financial year.

How general rates and charges are calculated

How rates charges are calculated

Your rates bill comprises two elements;

  • General Rates charge, and
  • Fire services levy

The 2.5% rate cap does not apply to the fire services levy or for property revaluations.

Your bill may be more or less than you expected because the 2.5% rate cap applies to the overall rate revenue collected by each council, not your individual property.

Watch the How does rate capping work? video for more information.

We have made paying your rates easier. You can pay your rates online, by phone, mail or in-person at our Customer Service Centres or at any Australia Post Office. You can also sign up for direct debit to ensure your rates are always paid on time.

Rate payment due dates
Your rates are required to be paid in four instalments by the following dates each year (as set by the Minister):
  • Instalment 1: 30 September (or next working day)
  • Instalment 2: 30 November (or next working day)
  • Instalment 3: 28 February (or next working day)
  • Instalment 4: 31 May (or next working day)
Overdue Payments
Instalments not paid by the due date will be charged interest.  Any outstanding payments shown on the annual rate notice must be paid immediately. Interest will continue to grow on any rates and charges, which remain outstanding.  Overdue payments may be subject to legal action without further notice.

Interest charges on late payments
Payment of rates and charges must be received by the respective due dates as shown on the annual rate notice to avoid interest being charged.

Penalty interest will be charged on late payments at the rate of 10% per annum. The interest rate is fixed by the State Government under Section 2 of the Penalty Interest Rates Act 1983.

Paying via Direct Debit
Paying your rates by Direct Debit is a convenient and easy way for you to ensure that your rates are always paid on time and helps to avoid any interest charges.
Our Direct Debit option allows you to nominate a cheque/savings or credit card account from which your rates are automatically deducted.  There are two Direct Debit options:
  • Option 1. Your four quarterly rate installment payments are deducted from your nominated account on their due dates.
  • Option 2. Spread your rate payments over 10 monthly deductions. Monthly payments are deducted from your nominated account on the 15th of each month. The ten month period commences on the 15th September and ends on the 15th June each year.
  • Solar Saver Direct Debit can only be paid by four quarterly instalment payments

If you would like to schedule your deductions weekly or fortnightly please contact us.

Direct Debit Registration

To register for Direct Debit you will need some information from your Rate Notice being the Assessment Number and Ratepayer name/s (as shown exactly on your Rate Notice)

Once registered payments will be automatically deducted as shown on your Rate Notice.

Register Online

The online registration uses a secure Westpac payment form

If you cannot register online please complete a Direct Debit Arrangement Form nominating which option you prefer and return your application to us.

  • Mail to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston VIC 3072
  • Fax to: (03) 9261 4840
Once the Direct Debit arrangement is setup, it continues every year unless you send us written notification from you to cancel or Change the Direct Debit.

How to pay your rates
You can pay your rates by internet, phone, mail or in person.


  1. Pay your rates using our Payments Online service. You will need your Assessment Number located on the top right corner of your Rate Notice. 
    Payments Online
  2. Pay your rates via POSTbillpay. You will need the Darebin Post Billpay Code 0325 and your Reference Number located on your Rate Notice. 
  3. Pay your rates via BPAY via your online banking website. You will need the Darebin Biller Code 7831 and your Reference Number located on your Rate Notice.   


  1. Pay your rates by credit card (Visa/MasterCard) over the phone using our secure automated system by Calling 1300 954 297. You will need your Assessment Number located on the top right corner of your Rate Notice.
  2. Pay your rates by credit card (Visa/MasterCard) via POSTbillpay - 13 18 16. You will need the Darebin Post Billpay Code 0325 and your Reference Number located on your Rate Notice.
In-Person (unavailable - all Customer Service Centres are currently closed due to COVID-19 restrictions):
  1. Pay your rates at any Customer Service Centre. You can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners), EFTPOS, cheque, money order, or cash.
  2. Pay your rates at any Australia Post Office. You can pay by credit card (Visa/MasterCard), EFTPOS, cheque, money order, and cash. You will be issued with a receipt, which you should keep as your record of payment
You can mail a cheque or money order payable to ‘Darebin City Council’ and cross it 'Not Negotiable', before the due date. Separate the payment slip at the bottom of your rates notice and mail it with your cheque or money order. 
Mail to: 
GPO Box 60, Melbourne VIC 3001

Note: We don’t provide a receipt for payments received by mail. Keep the top portion of your notice for your records.

Do you need help to pay?
If you are experiencing difficulties that may prevent you paying your rates and charges by the due date, please contact us to discuss an alternative payment arrangement.  
Note: Interest will still apply to any rate or charge outstanding after the respective due date. 

Plan ahead do not leave contacting us to the due date. If you enter into an arrangement and adhere to your payment agreement, we will withhold recovery action against outstanding rate arrears.

COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy
For property owners facing difficulties, we've created a Financial Hardship Policy to provide relief. If you are experiencing difficulty paying your rates you can contact us to either:

  • Set up a payment plan to help manage the payments
  • Defer your rate payments with 0% interest

Find out more about our COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy. To set up a payment plan, please contact Council on 8470 8888 or email mypaymentplan@darebin.vic.gov.au. If you wish to defer your payment until 30 June 2021, you don’t need to contact Council.

Financial Hardship
Darebin ratepayers can apply to Council for assistance relating to any unpaid rates or charges levied on a property under Council's Financial Hardship Policy.  If you are experiencing Financial Hardship please read the Financial Hardship Policy.  Requests for assistance must be in writing, providing full details of the circumstances preventing you from meeting your financial obligations to Council.  If you would like to speak to us prior to making your application, please call Council on 8470 8880.

Pensioner Rate Rebate
If you hold a current pensioner concession card, or DVA Gold Card with war widow or TPI classification and live at the property shown on the Rate Notice you may be eligible for a rebate.

Eligible pensioners will receive a rebate from the State Government along with a Darebin Council Rebate.  You will also be eligible for a rebate off your Fire Services Property Levy.

If a rebate does not show on your Rate Notice:

  • Complete a Municipal Rates Concession Form and send by mail to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston 3072 with a copy of the front and back of your pension card.
  • Or bring your completed form to any Customer Service Centre along with your pension card.  Application forms are also available at any Customer Service Centre.
Fire Services Property Levy
From 1 July 2013, all Victorian Councils are required to collect the fire services levy on behalf of the State Government. It is collected as another charge shown on your rates notice.

The Fire Services Property Levy will replace the existing insurance-based funding model, as recommended by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.  While we collect this property levy through your Rates Notice, the money goes directly to the State Government, and not to Council.

If you have property insurance, you will no longer pay a fire services levy through your insurance premium.  Any insurance policy with a start or renewal date on or after 1 July 2013 should not include a fire services levy.  Any insurer that charges a fire services levy after this date would be breaking the law.

Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888
Email: revenue@darebin.vic.gov.au

We have made receiving your rates notice easier as you now have the option to receive your rate notice electronically via eNotice or BPAYView

Receive Your Rate Notices Electronically
Enjoy the convenience of having your rate notice sent electronically via eNotice or BPAYView


How to Register, visit Darebin City Council Electronic Rate Notice Delivery  

  • Enter in your email address and eNotices Reference Number, found on your Rate Notice
  • Check your email inbox and click the validation link
  • Choose a password and enter your mobile number

That's it! You will now receive notices in your email inbox, and can login to view them online at any time.



How to Register, log into your online banking account.

  • Look for the BPAY View or View Bills section
  • Register to receive your City of Darebin Rate Notice by entering:
    • The Biller Code: 7831
    • Your BPAY View registration number(s): use your BPAY Reference number as shown on your rate notice
    • Your name: enter the name exactly as it appears in the first line from the address block on your notice.

You will be notified by email or SMS if your registration has been approved. Once the registration has been approved, your next Rate Notice will be automatically sent to your online banking account.

 We can only send our Rate Notices electronically. Other notices such as animal registration will still be sent to your postal address. If email is returned undeliverable, your rate notice will be posted to you.

Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888
Email: revenue@darebin.vic.gov.au 

It is very important that Council is notified if you change your details. This helps us ensure that rates notices are delivered correctly and without delay.

Change of Address

To update your address download and print the Change of Address Request Form for Rates Notice and return to:

  • Fax to: (03) 9261 4840
  • Mail to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston VIC 3072

Change of Name (This form is not to be used for changing ownership of a property)

To request the name on the Rate Notice to be updated, download and print the Change of Name Form and return to:

  • Fax to: (03) 9261 4840
  • Mail to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston VIC 3072 

Relevant documentation is required ie Marriage Certificate

Change of Ownership

Council is notified of Change of Ownership by your legal representative. 

If you do not have legal representation you will need to download and print the Notice of Acquisition along with a copy of title and return to: 

  • Fax to: (03) 9261 4840
  • Mail to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston VIC 3072 

 IMPORTANT: when ownership of a property changes, the liability for payment of rates remains with the owner until we receive a Notice of Acquisition. 

Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888
Email: revenue@darebin.vic.gov.au

In accordance with State Legislation, the State Government not Council are responsible for carrying out the annual revaluation. Revaluations are done every year.

Property Rental Surveys

Valuer-General Victoria is currently undertaking a revaluation of all properties for rating purposes within Darebin City Council. These valuations will be used by Council for the 2021/22 financial year.

As part of the valuation process, property rental information is being collected from property owners, agents and tenants.  Council and the Valuer-General are aware of the difficulties being faced by property owners and tenants at present. VGV’s appointed valuers, Westink Consulting, are collecting rental information for commercial and other properties in order to ensure that the returned valuations are accurate and that the impact of current market conditions is properly considered.

The information is being collected by a short online rental survey. Authority for the collection of this information is contained within the Valuation of Land Act 1960. The information provided will remain confidential and will be used only for the purposes of the revaluation.

The cooperation of Darebin City Council ratepayers in the provision of this information is greatly appreciated. Should you have any queries in relation to the survey please contact MD@westlinkconsulting.com.au

On your rate notice there will be three valuation figures:
1. Site Valuation (SV) this is your land value
2. Capital Improved Value (CIV) this is the Market Value of your property and includes your Site Valuation, rates are calculated on this valuation
3. Net Annual Value (NAV) for Residential properties this is 5% of the CIV and for non-residential properties it is the greater of the annual rental value or 5% of the CIV.

How your Valuation is calculated
Property values are determined by qualified Valuers appointed by the State Government.  They use information such as sales data, rentals, detailed building plans and permits to assist them in determining an accurate valuation of your property.  Some properties will also be externally inspected for data verification.   

Valuations are assessed as at 1 January and in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act.

2014-2015 Rating Strategy

Supplementary Valuations
If changes to a property occur that could alter its value, a supplementary valuation is conducted during the year to update property records.  These changes can be alterations, additions, demolitions, subdivision, changes in the use of a property or zoning amendments.  Your rates are then adjusted pro-rata for the year, based upon the completion date of the changes.     

Object to the Valuation
As a ratepayer you have the right under Section 16 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960 to object to the valuation of their property and should contact Council as the first step.

Enquiry Period & Process

Property owners are required to advise Council of their objection to their property valuation within two months of the issue date on rate notice at the start of the financial year. Contact can be either by phone, email or letter to the Valuations Office. The Council Valuation will be reviewed and Valuer will either call to discuss or write to you with the Objection outcome.
Notice of Objection
If after a review of the valuation of your property you still dispute the valuations, your next action is to lodge a formal objection stating reasons and evidence to support your claim. If a satisfactory outcome is not reached the next step is for you to lodge an objection with Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal.   You must continue to pay your rates by the due while an Enquiry or Objection is being resolved.

Land Tax Objection & Council Rating Valuations
The State Revenue Office uses Council Assessed Site Value to calculate land tax under the Land Tax Act 1958.  An objection to the Site Value must first be made to the State Revenue Office within two months of receiving the Land Tax Assessment

Street Numbering
Council is responsible for the allocation of street numbering and is administered by the Valuations office.  Council allocation of street numbers is administered as stated under the Australia and New Zealand Standard Rural and Urban Addressing document.  

Owners are reminded that they have a legal requirement to clearly display the street number on their property. If property owners are having issues with street numbers please contact valuation department to discuss matter.  

Rates are used by Council to pay for local services including garbage collection, street lighting, street cleaning, parks, libraries, local roads, footpaths, drains, emergency services, home and community care services.

For every $100 you spend on rates, you are helping fund your local community:

  • Capital Works $28.22
  • Libraries $3.08
  • Building & Asset Maintenance $5.45
  • Planning & Development $7.56
  • Parks & Gardens $8.15
  • Road Maintenance $3.12
  • Waste Management $9.37
  • Family Services $6.31
  • Aged Services $8.40
  • Culture & Leisure $8.87
  • Environment & Amenity $11.47
Video: Why do I need to pay for rates?