In the spirit of reconciliation with its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, Council has resolved to assist the Traditional Owners of Darebin (the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation) to consult with the community on a joint project to rename some places in Darebin, commencing with Batman Park in Northcote and the Federal electorate of Batman.
Renaming Batman Park Community Conversations
In conjunction with the Wurundjeri Tribe Land Compensation and Cultural Heritage Council (Wurundjeri Council) we held four community consultations to illustrate the many connections between the Aboriginal history and heritage of this area, and to hear the community's feedback on the renaming. Highlights of the consultations included;
- Hundreds of residents attended the consultations in July and August to hear from Wurundjeri elders who led the discussions. They explained their support for the park’s renaming to reflect the area’s Wurundjeri history.
- Three names were proposed: Be Be Jern, Billibellary and Gumbri.
- Residents were given the opportunity to vote on the three names, to nominate their own names and to express their thoughts on the renaming of the Northcote park.
- Initial findings show there is overwhelmingly support to rename Batman Park.
- All the responses from the community consultations will be collated and the results will be reported to Darebin Council and the Wurundjeri Tribe Land and Cultural Heritage Council.
- The final decision on the name lies with Darebin City Council.
A report with a recommendation on the renaming will be presented to Council in late-2016, and final decision will be made in early 2017.
For information on this project, join our mailing list by emailing email@example.com to receive regular updates.
To learn more about reconciliation visit Reconciliation Australia, for information on naming electoral boundaries see the Australian Electoral Commission, and for the John Batman and the Batman Treaty visit the State Library of Victoria.
If you have any comments, questions about the project or some information to share, please contact us.
Coordinator Equity & Diversity
Ph: 8470 8365