Members of the public can submit questions to Council at ordinary Council Meetings.
A period of up to 30 minutes will be set aside at each Council Meeting to enable the Chairperson to read out, and respond to, questions submitted by the public in accordance with the following guidelines.
Questions from the public must be submitted prior to the commencement of Council meetings. No questions will be accepted after 7.00 pm on the night of the meeting. This includes questions from members of the public who seek to directly ask their questions from the gallery, which must first be submitted to officers for review prior to the meeting.
Further, in accordance with section 54(5) of the Darebin Governance Local Law, a member of the gallery cannot ask more than two (2) questions.
The Mayor, in the first instance, will read questions and provide a response to those submitted online before taking questions from members in the gallery. If a question cannot be answered at the meeting, a written response will be prepared and forwarded to the person raising the question. Any question responded to verbally at the meeting, will not be responded to in writing.
- Relate to items that are listed on the Agenda; or
- Are of an operational nature; or
- Relate to personnel matters, contractual matters or legal advice; or
- Are aimed at embarrassing a councillor or a member of council staff or is political in nature
will not be responded to.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION
Questions can be submitted up until 4.00pm on the day of the Council Meeting
Questions may be lodged in person:
- At the Preston Customer Service Centre by 5pm on the day of the Council meeting
- With a Council Officer between 6.45pm and 7pm on the evening of the Council meeting at Council Chambers (including from people who wish to directly ask their question from the gallery.)
Or by printing the Public Question Time Form (PDF or Word) and delivering it to 274 Gower Street Preston Vic. 3072
Residents do not need to attend the meeting for a question to be answered. Council meetings can be viewed at the Watch Council and Planning Committee meetings page.
The Agenda for each meeting is available by 5pm on the Thursday before each meeting at Meeting Agendas and Minutes page. Copies are also available at Customer Service centres and libraries.