Darebin Heritage Study 2007
The Darebin Heritage Study identifies and protects cultural and natural heritage sites in Darebin, including sites of Aboriginal heritage. The Study builds on Darebin’s previous Heritage Review 2000 by identifying new heritage sites to be protected. It also forms the basis of permanent planning controls in the Darebin Planning Scheme that seek to protect Darebin’s cultural, environmental and social history.
The Study includes a number of reports and studies, as follows:
- Thematic Environmental History (August 2008) - provides an explanation of the historical themes and activities that have been important in shaping development throughout Darebin. The history is arranged according to themes so as to provide a context to assist with the identification of heritage places that illustrate the rich natural and cultural history of the Municipality.
- Key findings and Recommendations (December 2008) - builds on the Thematic Environmental History study of August 2008 and provides a heritage plan and recommendations for Darebin Council about how to manage heritage significant areas into the future.
- Review of 2000 Ward Study and Additional Stage 2 Place Assessments (May 2010) - assesses the significance of additional places and includes a review of 50 places added to the Heritage Overlay as a result of the recommendations of the Darebin Heritage Review 2000 (Andrew Ward and Associates).
- Historic Heritage Places 2011 - heritage place citations which provide the history of the heritage place and a description of its surviving fabric (including buildings, trees, fences, etc.) and, on this basis, provide an assessment of the significance of the place. The citations assist Council, property owners and managers and other key stakeholders in making decisions about the future use, development or management of the place. This information has also been translated to the Darebin Heritage Database.
- Preston Central Heritage Assessment - two volumes (Volumes 4a and 4b) providing an assessment of the heritage significance of heritage precincts and places within the Preston Central Structure Plan area.
Darebin Heritage Review 2000
The Darebin Heritage Review was completed in February 2001. The review contains heritage citation reports and statements of significance for most of the sites in Darebin which are affected by the Heritage Overlay (HO).
Darebin Heritage Guides
A series of design guidelines were prepared as part of the Darebin Heritage Review 2000. Some of these guidelines can be downloaded here: