We rely on energy everyday and as energy supplies are limited, we need to conserve our usage wisely.
The Energy Conservation Hierarchy
- Minimise energy use – use natural light, heating, and cooling where possible. Insulate your home to keep summer heat out and winter heat in and reduce the need for additional heating and cooling
- Use energy efficiently – choose efficient lighting such as LED or compact fluorescent globes and appliances with a high Energy Star Rating
- Use renewable energy – consider installing solar electricity, solar hot water and switching to GreenPower
- Offset – your remaining emissions
Darebin City Council's Community Climate Change Action Plan
The Action Plan (2009-2015), provides a framework for Darebin Council to support the Darebin community in significantly reducing their greenhouse gas emissions by 2020. The Action Plan has been prepared in response to the recognised threat and severity of climate change and its effects on the Darebin community. Darebin Council has already significantly reduced greenhouse our own greenhouse gas emissions through this plan, and is currently supporting the community to take action on
this important issue.
Learn more by downloading a copy of the Community Climate Change Action Plan via this link.
Pooling Our Energy Savings
Users of Northcote Aquatic and Recreation Centre and Reservoir Leisure Centre might have noticed the regular works being undertaken over the last 2 years. We are excited to announce that the 'Pooling our Energy Savings' energy efficiency upgrades and installation of power generation technologies have now been completed.
These upgrades are expected to deliver a reduction in operational costs of over $100,000, and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by nearly 2000 tonnes per year. That’s the same as taking about 500 cars off the road!
The energy efficiency upgrades are similar to the energy efficiency measures we can all take at home, although these are on a larger scale! We installed;
- Onsite power generation – generating our own electricity for the buildings using natural gas which is cleaner and cheaper than coal-generated electricity from our power grid
- Draught sealing for gaps around doors and windows
- Double glazed doors
- Better insulation
- Insulated pool blankets
- LED lighting
- Higher efficiency air conditioning and heating systems
You can watch our 'Pooling Our Energy Savings' video below and learn more about our installation of power generation technologies and energy efficiency upgrades.
If you want to learn more about the energy efficiency measures you can take at home, please visit www.sustainablecommunities.vic.gov.au and check our upcoming workshop schedule.
The energy efficiency upgrades and installation of power generation technology received funding from the Australian Government.
Tips for Home Builders and Renovators
All new homes and renovations in Australia are required to achieve a 6 star energy rating. 6 Star homes use less energy and save you money, as well as providing more comfortable homes. The 6 Star Standard
is a flexible performance based standard and can be achieved using a variety of energy saving measures. Considering the following measures will help your home or renovation meet the standard:
- Incorporate north facing windows, blinds, verandas and ceiling fans to help control temperature
- Install a solar hot water system
- Choose a gas heater with at least a 4-star energy rating
- Install or upgrade insulation