Garden waste placed in this bin is recycled into garden products such as mulch and compost. You can find out what happens to your green waste by visiting the Back to Earth initiative here.
Green waste sent to landfill generates methane, a greenhouse gas that is 25 time more potent that carbon dioxide. By recycling green waste you prevent it going to landfill.
Green Waste Recycling Collection Days
Green waste recycling bins are collected fortnightly, alternating with your recycling collection. Find out when your green waste recycling bin is collected via the maps below:
You can also find your collection date by searching on your property address in the Darebin Guide.
Christmas and Public Holiday Collections
Bins will not be collected on Good Friday, Christmas Day, New Year's Day or Anzac Day. If your green waste recycling bin is due to be collected on one of these days it will be collected the following day. All other bin collections in the week of one of these public holidays will also occur a day late.
What can I put in my Green Waste Recycling Bin?
The following items are accepted in green waste recycling bins:
- Grass clippings
- Small sticks, twigs and prunings (up to 30cm length)
- Flowers and leaves
- Cut flowers
Please do not place food waste, pet droppings, soil, concrete or bricks in your green waste recycling bin or it may not be emptied.
Your bin will not be collected if:
- It weighs more than 30kg
- It is overfilled or has anything on top of it or leaning against it
- It is put out too late
- It is too close to obstacles such as trees, poles, other bins or parked cars
Branch and Christmas Tree Collections
Darebin households are entitled to:
- One free bundled branch collection per year (up to eight bundles of branches of no more than one metre long). Branches must be tied with string and must be easily handled by one person.
- One natural or real Christmas tree collection per year (one natural Christmas tree per household). Christmas tree collections are available from 27 December to 1 February.
- The Darebin Resource Recovery Centre (the Tip) offers a free drop-off service of standard sized Christmas trees for two weeks only from mid to late January.
Bookings are required for both these services. To book, call Customer Service on 8470 8888.
Disposing of additional Green Waste Recycling
Additional green waste recycling can be disposed of at the Darebin Resource Recovery Centre (Tip). Charges apply. Or you can compost your green waste for free at home using a compost bin.
Food put in your waste bins ends up in landfill. Not only does wasting food cost you money, it is bad for the environment too. When food breaks down in landfill, it generates methane - a greenhouse gas. By reducing the amount of food waste in landfill, we reduce the amount of greenhouse gas entering the environment. For information on how to reduce your food waste, see our Food Waste Storage Sheet or visit the Love Food Hate Waste website.
Green waste recycling bins are an optional service for residents.
Charges for this optional service are billed to the ratepayer through rates notices. Only the ratepayer for the property can request an optional green waste recycling service. Discounts are available to pension card holders.
If you are a tenant in a rental property and would like this service you will need to contact the property owner or agent and request that they order the green waste service on your behalf.
GREEN WASTE RECYCLING BIN CHARGES
|120L (pensioner rate)
|240L (pensioner rate)
How to order a Green Waste Recycling Bin
1. Complete the Green Waste Recycling Bin Application Form
2. Return the completed form to a Customer Service Centre
Phone 8470 8888
Phone: 8470 8888