The budget strives to maintain a critical balance between costs, quality, and value to our ratepayers.
The proposed budget proposes a rate increase of 2.25 per cent. This is in line with the Victorian Government’s new Fair Go Rates System which has capped rates increases by Victorian councils to the forecast movement of 2.25 per cent in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
We are proud to present a budget that maintains our current service levels without the need to apply for an exemption to the rate cap. We have achieved this by working together to approach the budget with balance, fairness and operational efficiency in mind.
You can download a copy of the proposed budget or view it in hard copy at
- Preston Customer Service Centre, 274 Gower Street, Preston
- Reservoir Community and Learning Centre, 23 Edwardes Street, Reservoir
- Northcote Customer Service Centre, 32-38 Separation Street, Northcote
Proposed Budget 2018/19 Highlights
Key highlights of the draft 2018/19 Budget include
- Continued progress to achieve the goals and objectives of the Council Plan
- Delivery of a large capital program
- Delivery of high quality services and programs for the community
- Maintenance of our long term financial sustainability
- No borrowings
Sustainability initiatives include
- Doubling solar power in Darebin
- Supporting the foundation of the Darebin Energy Foundation and the Darebin Nature Trust
- Dramatically improving walking and cycling infrastructure
- Continued implementation of the Climate Emergency Plan
- Investment in range of energy efficient initiatives
Community initiatives include
- Ongoing provision of over 100 services to residents, businesses and community groups from the early years - maternal and child health and family services - through to retirement and seniors activities. Services also include waste collection, youth services, libraries, arts programs, festivals and more
- Preparation of a Community Engagement Strategy to support Councils deep commitment to increasing community participation in all of our decision making processes
- Ongoing support and advocacy to strengthen our diverse and multicultural community
- Ongoing review of our services to respond to changing community needs, significant population growth, financial challenges
Public infrastructure initiatives include
- Commencement of a new multi-purpose stadium (WMSS) at John Cain Reserve to provide more sports opportunities for women and girls
- Planning for future improvements to the Northcote Aquatic and Recreation Centre and the Resevoir Leisure Centre
- A wide program of improvements and new works in our parks, open spaces, playgrounds and sporting facilities across the municipality
- Ongoing investment to ensure our critical assets and infrastructure are maintained including roads, footpaths and drains
- The ongoing provision of an outstanding performing arts and cultural programme
- Works to reinvigorate the Darebin Arts Centre
Strategy and planning initiatives include
- A significant program of strategic initiatives aimed at setting out a long term, integrated plan for the future of the City and guiding land use, development, housing affordability, future community and physical infrastructure and transport requirements and opportunities for economic growth
- Finalisation of a new Open Space Strategy and the preparation of controls to ensure ongoing funding for open space to support our growing community.
- A new developer contributions levy for infrastructure to serve our growing community
- Commencement of the Preston Urban Design Framework including updating the structure plan to ensure we have a clear plan to address growth and change in and around Preston
Have your say
Submission can be made by
Mail: Manager Finance
City of Darebin
PO Box 91
Preston VIC 3072
Submissions close 5.00pm Friday 11 May 2018
Council will consider any written submissions on the proposed budget at a Special Committee Meeting on Thursday 31 May 2018 in the Council Chamber commencing at 6:00pm.
Budget Listening Posts
Reservoir Community and Learning Centre
23 Edwardes Street, Reservoir
28 April 2018 | 11:30-1:30pm
Preston Shire Hall
286 Gower Street, Preston
1 May 2018 | 6:00-8:00pm
Northcote Town Hall
189 High Street, Northcote
3 May 2018 | 6:00-8:00pm
For details visit
Council has adopted the 2017/2018 Budget after community consultation and consideration of submissions made by the public. The budget was developed through a rigorous process and consultation that included more than 1,200 local people from every part of Darebin.
This budget is community focused and sets the foundation to deliver the big actions committed to over the next four years through the Council Plan and will benefit Darebin now, and well into the future.
The Budget 2017/2018 presents a financially responsible budget that maintains all services and infrastructure from the previous year as well as delivering projects and services that are valued by our community.
The average rate will rise by 2.0% in line with the order by the Minister for Local Government on 16 December 2016 under the Fair Go Rates System.
Phone: 8470 8619