Extended outdoor dining
Council’s Extended Outdoor Dining Project has been made possible with support from the Victorian Government. To date, this program has added over 1,500 additional seats for cafes and restaurants.
This program has been designed to actively support hospitality venues safely expand outdoor dining areas into approved public spaces and operate within the health restrictions advised by the Victorian Government. The Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions provide details about the application process, assessment criteria and decision-making framework.
With the recent announcement of Victoria’s Roadmap, there is an emphasis once again on outdoor dining, we are currently working through the finer detail for what this looks like in Summer 2021. Once we have this detail confirmed we will hold online information sessions to assist you with your queries.
Please see the 2020 version of The Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions provide details about the application process, assessment criteria and decision-making framework. Note: these documents are currently being reviewed.
Extended Footpath Dining
Currently we are taking applications to extend your outdoor seating by extending your current Footpath Trading Permit to include neighbouring areas.
Things to consider:
- Do either of your neighbouring business have Footpath Trading areas they do not use? (Eg Offices or retail spaces)
- Does your neighbour use their footpath at opposite times of the day to you?
- Permission is required from neighbouring businesses, to extend your trading area, have you considered whether your neighbours would support the use of the parking space?
If you answered yes to the above, you could be eligible to extend your permit and we’d welcome your application!
We will assess each application and proposal on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration amenity, safety and site-specific conditions such as impacts on residents, as well as the need to maintain social distancing and provide ease of access for pedestrians and essential vehicles.
Please read through the details below to submit.
If you would like to apply to extend your Footpath Trading permit (or apply for a new permit), get the following documents ready:
- Floor Plan
- Site Photos
- Letters of Consent from neighbouring businesses *only if required
Red Line Plan *only if your serve alcohol
Email the business team if you would like further details of the above items: email@example.com
When you’re ready, you can apply here:
What are Parklets?
A parklet is where a car park space is repurposed to create an area for outdoor dining.
Currently we are reviewing our parklet program, if you are interested in further updates please register your details with the Business team, please include the following:
- Contact details & your business details
- Outline your idea for the Outdoor Dining proposal (Eg, Darebin Parklet or another dining proposal?)
- Permission is required from neighbouring businesses, have you considered whether your neighbours would support the use of the parking space?
Please email the above information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important things to consider
- Parklets cannot be constructed in car park spaces that are subject to a clearway at any time of the day.
- Parklets cannot be constructed within 10 meters of an intersection or within 20 meters of an intersection with traffic signals.
- Parklets cannot be adjacent to a no-parking sign.
COVID-safe plans required
Any business wishing to provide table service in outdoor dining areas will be required to have a COVID Safe Plan and comply with patron limits designated for outdoor spaces Please view Victoria’s current restrictions levels for the latest information on COVID-19 business restrictions.