Traffic management plans

If you are planning any works on a road, street, lane or footpath, you must apply for a permit. Find out more.

Works on road and footpath

If you are planning to occupy a road, street, lane or footpath, for an event or to complete works you must apply for a road closure or footpath closure permit.

What do I need before I apply for a permit?

Apply for a permit

TMPs are required in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004, the Road Safety Act 1986 and Australian Standard AS 1742.3 2009 Traffic control devices for works on roads.

Please note that if there are also disruptions to public transport services or arterial roads managed by Department of Transport (formerly known as VicRoads) you must provide proof of consent from the relevant authorities.

If works are on an arterial road you must have consent from DoT.

If any major traffic control devices (such as reduced speed zones) are being used a Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA) must be received from DoT (unless works are for Cardinia Shire Council).

Apply for a permit

To apply for a permit visit our permits page and scroll down to 'Traffic Management Assessments' if you need the following permits:

  • Road closure
  • Footpath closure
  • Shipping container
  • Work zone

Please note that if your works involve building construction or connection to stormwater you are required to apply for either a Building Permit or Legal Point of Discharge Application instead. The link provided in the “Apply for a permit” section will redirect you to a page listing all types of permit applications.

Apply for a permit


  • TMP assessment $120*
  • Road closure $500 per day
  • Footpath Closure (main road) $345 per day
  • Footpath closure (local) $89
  • Shipping container $138 per day
  • Work Zone permit fees

* non-refundable

How the application is assessed

Applications are processed within 10 business days and are assessed for compliance in accordance with the following:

If all requirements are satisfied or if only small changes are required, written consent is given via email to the person or company that submitted the TMP. If the TMP is insufficient or there are major errors, we will need you to resubmit the application.

A copy of the written consent, TMPs, permit and MoA (if applicable) must be kept on site during the works.

Individual contractors/works manager are responsibly for implementing the TMP, and works on site may be inspected by Council officers at any time.

Reporting concerns with road works

Implementing a TMP is the responsibility of individual contractors/works manager. If you are concerned with traffic management or works happening in a road reserve, contact the company doing the works first. If after this you still have concerns, contact us on 03 8470 8888.