Transport Strategy 2007—2027
Going Places: Darebin Transport Strategy 2007-2027 (Darebin Transport Strategy) is our 20-year plan for improving transport in Darebin. Our strategy aims to help you travel safely and sustainably to where you need to go.
Read our Darebin Transport Strategy 2007-2027 (updated 2022).
- To improve local and metropolitan accessibility
- To increase the role of sustainable transport modes
- To build new developments that reduce transport demands
- To increase social inclusion for residents
- To improve health and environmental outcomes
- To improve community safety
- To integrate quality urban design, economic development and access
- To engage stakeholders through effective communication
- Double the share of walking, cycling and public transport for all trips by 2027
- Double the share of walking, cycling and public transport for journey to work trips by 2027
- Reduce accident rates on local roads equal to or greater than VicRoads’ targets.
The Transport Strategy is periodically updated to ensure that it remains relevant, accurate and useful. Since we created the Darebin Transport Strategy in 2007, there have been many changes to the transport environment in Darebin, including:
- Changes to State and Federal Government policies
- Darebin’s declaration of a Climate Emergency
- Societal changes, such as the rapidly growing popularity of electric vehicles, the COVID-19 pandemic, technological improvements and changes in travel behaviour.
The most recent update was undertaken in 2022. To update the strategy we asked for feedback on the Strategy from community members, key local groups and transport experts. The 2022 Darebin Transport Strategy Refresh was endorsed by Council in June 2022.
Read more about the changes we made to the Strategy in 2022 and our progress against our original targets in the Darebin Transport Strategy Refresh Report.
Strategic Transport Framework Plan
As part of the 2022 update of the Darebin Transport Strategy, we also updated our Strategic Transport Framework Plan. This is a map which shows the different strategic roles that each of our main roads and paths have in Darebin. The Strategic Transport Framework Plan guides Council so that we can manage the different priorities of people using our transport network.
Register for updates from the Transport Team
Be the first to know about transport projects and consultations which are relevant to the City of Darebin - register for regular email updates.