Asset protection permit

You'll need an Asset Protection Permit for works that may potentially damage Council assets.

Why do I need an Asset Protection Permit?

Building works can damage our assets, such as footpaths, nature strips, roads, stormwater drains, trees and signs. Your building works must protect our assets from any damage that may occur.

It’s the responsibility of the person in charge of a building site to:

  • get an Asset Protection Permit before starting or allowing works to start
  • inform us of existing damage before the works start (to protect yourself from having to pay for damage)
  • ensure Council assets are protected during works
  • immediately report any damage to Council assets during construction.

If you, a builder or contractor damages our assets, fines and liability for repair costs may apply to the person responsible.

If works start without an Asset Protection Permit, penalties of up to $2,000 may apply. It's an offence to undertake or allow building works without an Asset Protection Permit.

I'm doing minor building works

You don't need an Asset Protection Permit for minor building works. Minor building works are those that don't need a building permit under the exemptions of the Building Act 1993.

To find out when you need a building permit, check the Victorian Building Authority document When is a building permit required?

Asset inspections

Routine inspections will occur during the construction period. If you tell us about proposed work, we'll inspect the assets adjoining the property and document any pre-existing damage. We'll then compare these notes to the condition of our assets after the work is finished.

If there was any damage to Council assets which we think was associated with your building activity, we'll detail the damage and notify you in writing.

If you don't give us a dilapidation report or photographic evidence of the asset condition before construction, we'll assume that all assets are in good condition.

When you've finished the works and have a certificate of occupancy or final inspection from your building surveyor, please see Applying for a bond refund for next steps.