When do I need Council consent?

Building consent can vary for different things. A fence may be different to a balcony, for example. Find out about what applies to your project.


You may need to apply for consent to demolish. Some demolition work also needs a Council planning permit and a building permit. Learn more.
You need our approval to erect precautions over the street alignment. Find out how this applies to you.
Some areas of Darebin are designated as flood-prone. In these cases, you may need a flooding application before we issue a building permit.

You need our consent to build outside regulations, such as over flood-prone land or street alignments.