Playgroups in Darebin
(updated 23 November 2021)
Playgroups offer wide range of early learning opportunities for young children and their families in community settings. Most playgroups in Darebin are community playgroups which are self-managed by the parents and/or caregivers who attend the playgroup. Other playgroups may have a specific purpose, such as music or language-based playgroups, and can be facilitated by individuals or community organisations.
Why go to a Playgroup?
Family participation in playgroups can benefit children, adults, families and communities. Children experience rapid brain and skill development from birth to five years and quality early learning opportunities at playgroups can assist with healthy child development. Children thrive when exposed to positive early childhood experiences that foster their intellectual, social and emotional development in the early years.
- an opportunity for parents, grandparents, caregivers and children from newborn to school-age to connect in a safe, relaxed environment in a specific community location
- a low cost, effective way to introduce children to play, have fun, make friends and develop new skills
- parents the opportunity to meet other families, play with their children and become involved in their community.
Playgroups lay the foundation for children to:
- have a strong sense of identity
- connect with and contribute to their world>
- have a strong sense of wellbeing
- become confident and involved learners
- be effective communicators.
If you are looking to start or join a playgroup in Darebin, please check our online community playgroup database at Community Playgroups in Darebin Database or contact Playgroup Victoria. Alternatively please direct your enquiry to our Playgroups Officer at email@example.com and provide your phone number for a call back to discuss your local playgroup needs.
Darebin facilitates 14 supported playgroups which incorporate the smalltalk parenting program (https://www.smalltalk.net.au/) and cater for families with children aged 0- 4 years. Weekly playgroup sessions operate during school term across five venues in Darebin and include a range of fun play-based early learning opportunities for families to enjoy together. Supported Playgroups are facilitated by qualified staff and are funded by the Department of Families Fairness and Housing. Families benefit from participation in supported playgroups through:
- Learning new ideas about child learning and development in the early years
- Providing your child with opportunities to play with other children
- Meeting other families in your community
- Accessing information about other services for families in Darebin
Eligibility criteria applies and families must be booked in prior to attendance.
Parents and caregivers participating in face-to-face supported playgroup sessions must show acceptable proof of COVID-19 vaccination status at the time of booking and upon entering playgroup venues. We currently have vacancies in our supported playgroups and are accepting new referrals. >Please contact our team via telephone on 8470 8113 or provide your name and contact phone number by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a call back.