Darebin has a number of initiatives advancing this goal including: Report Racism; Say No to Racism Training Package and 'Racism - It Stops With Me' campaign.
Council's recently endorsed Towards Equality - Equity, Inclusion and Human Rights Framework 2019-2029 has reaffirmed Council's commitment to cultural diversity and anti-racism. As a Welcoming City, we work towards a racism-free Darebin where our community's diversity is valued, celebrated, respected, embraced and leveraged. Darebin is an official supporter of the Federal Government's Racism. It Stops With Me campaign which invites all Australians to reflect on what they can do to counter racism, wherever it happens.
To report discrimination, go to the Reporting discrimination page and fill in the VEOHRC Community Reporting Tool.
Say NO to Racism Training
Say NO to Racism training addresses racism through the role of bystanders, and how to take safe and constructive action against racism. The training will teach you to:
- Acknowledge the ambiguous nature of racism.
- Understand of the impacts of racism.
- The social and personal barriers to bystander intervention.
- Practical strategies and language skills to take safe, constructive action against racism.
- Recognise the potential of bystander action in creating anti-racist social norms.
You will find yourself in a realistic situation with the opportunity to experience and overcome the barriers to intervention, learn tools and language required for safe and constructive intervention.
Training is currently not available.