Older adults

Windows and gutter cleaning program

As a senior Darebin resident, you can receive assistance from Council to have your windows and gutters cleaned. 

Are you eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Program? If so, you can receive assistance from us to have your windows and gutters cleaned.

We cover part of the cost for a contractor that you choose to keep your windows and gutters clean once a year.

How does it work?

We do not do this work ourselves. You will need to:

1. Choose a business that you would like to do the work for you
This can only be: gutter clearing and/or window cleaning
2. Pay the business the full amount for the work
3. Keep a tax invoice/receipt to show that you paid the full amount
4. Fill out the form below and send it back to us:

Darebin Council, Support and Connected Livings Team.

We will pay you back half of the cost of the work, up to a total of $120.00, once per year.

Who is it for?

This program is for Darebin residents who:

  • Are aged over 65 years (or over 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people)
  • get support from, or are eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Program
  • do not get other Government funded supports for living at home.

How can I get a claim form?

You can download your claim form or request your printed version on 03 8470 8828.

What work will it cover?

Council will only pay part of the cost for:

  • Gutter clearing, and/or
  • window cleaning.

How often can you get a claim form?

A household can only make one claim per year, and cannot split the $120.00 value over more than one claim. This means you will need to choose either gutter clearing or window cleaning, or both at the same time (up to $120.00).

Can your claim be turned down?

Council can turn down your claim if:

  • You have made a claim in the past twelve months, or
  • your tax invoice/receipt or your form are incomplete, incorrect or not eligible.

If this happens we will call you to try and sort it out. If we cannot sort it out and your claim is turned down, we will send you a letter to let you know why.

Who can you get to do this work?

It is your choice.

We cannot recommend or endorse any businesses. You will need to make sure that the business you choose can give you a Tax Invoice/Receipt.

The Tax Invoice/Receipt must clearly show:

  • Name of business
  • Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • Business contact details and address
  • itemised work completed
  • address where the work was done, and resident name
  • date the work was done
  • acknowledgment that the cost of the work has been paid in full.

What if you are not happy with the work?

You are responsible for choosing the business you would like to do the work for you.

We are not responsible for this, and we are not able to get involved in:

  • Who you choose
  • how and when the work is done
  • if the work meets your needs.

What happens after you send us your form?

If everything is ok with your form, we will pay you back half of the cost of the work, up to a total of $120.00, once per year.

We will do this via the option you choose on your form (cheque or credit against an existing debt). This will take up to one month.

More information

Supported and Connected Living team

Phone: 03 8470 8828

You can call us yourself, or if you give consent to a family member, friend, doctor, or health service who can call us for you.