Public health and safety

Get information on our public health and safety policies, from asbestos to noise, to pest control and food hygiene, and find out how to report issues.


Asbestos is in many buildings and left undisturbed is safe. We can advise you who to contact if you have concerns.
food safety
If you have any food hygiene concerns of any food outlets in Darebin, you should contact us.
head lice
Learn how you can treat and manage head lice (pediculosis).
Learn what you can do about noise disturbance. What we and other authorities can do to enforce powers under legislation to investigate your concern.
We can investigate cases of excessive odours from a residence, and can advise you who to contact about industrial noise and environmental pollution.
pest control
We do not provide direct pest control services. Find out information on pest control for rats, mice, cockroaches, bees and wasps.
public aquatic facility

A public aquatic facility is a pool or spa that the public can use, such as those in hotels and apartment complexes, for instance.

woodheater smoke
Learn how to maintain and operate wood heaters to reduce smoke. What to do if you are effected with your neighbour's wood smoke.
syringe disposal
Learn how to safely dispose of syringes, pen needles and lancets.
If you believe that a business is breaching the tobacco laws you may contact us to make a complaint.