Ask for a new bin size
Request to upsize your waste bin
The standard size waste bin in Darebin is 80 litres. You can reduce your waste by:
- Purchasing items with less packaging – read our Waste Minimisation Guide to find out how
- Composting your food scraps at home or applying for a food and green waste recycling bin for your food and garden waste
- Taking your soft plastics (such as plastic bags, wrappers and packaging) to your closest REDcycle drop off point
- Squeezing, squashing and flattening your waste and recycling
- Recycling as much as you can.
We understand that there are some reasons for requiring a larger bin, such as:
- Larger families
- Share houses
- You or someone you live with has a medical condition
If you’re unable to minimise your waste and require a larger waste bin, you can upsize your waste bin to either a 120 or 240 litre bin. A maximum of 240 litres is allowed per household.
Fees may apply depending on the number of people living at your property. Permits must be renewed and paid annually.
Applications can only be made if your property receives a Council managed waste service. If your property receives a private waste collection, please contact your owners corporation to discuss additional waste needs. Businesses and commercial properties are not eligible to upsize and must seek a private waste arrangement.
Larger bin permit applications can be made online. Please note: This form should only be used to upsize your current bin. If you do not have any bins at your property, or wish to downsize a larger bin, please call Customer Service 03 8470 8888 to order new bins.
Request a larger waste bin for a medical condition
If you, or someone who lives with you, requires a larger bin for a medical condition you may be entitled to a fee exemption. Larger bin fee exemptions will be assessed to determine eligibility and you will need to renew your permit each year.