Food and green waste collections
Did you know you can now recycle food waste in your existing green waste bin?
Food and other organic waste makes up around 40 per cent of the material in an average waste bin. You can help reduce this by ordering a food and green waste bin.
Now you know which zone you live in, see our 2021 calendars for your food and green waste collection dates:
To get a printed calendar, visit a Customer Service Centre or call 03 8470 8888 and ask us to post it to you.
We don't collect bins on Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Good Friday, or Anzac Day public holidays. In these cases, we'll collect your bin the next day, and one day later for the rest of the week. Bin collections happen on other public holidays as normal.
What food waste do you accept?
Here are some food scraps you can now put in your food and green waste recycling bin:
- fruit and vegetable scraps
- citrus, onion and garlic
- meat, small bones and seafood
- coffee grounds and loose tea leaves
- egg shells
- bread, pasta and cereal
What items do you not accept?
- Plastic bags (including compostable or biodegradable)
- Garden or food waste in plastic bags
- Plastic packaging
- Compostable packaging and coffee pods
- Pet droppings and kitty litter
- Nappies (including compostable)
- Building material (e.g. concrete or bricks)
- Soil, stumps and tree roots
- Wire, cloth, material, plastic or nylon ties
- Recyclable material
- Household rubbish
- Disposing of additional green waste
When will we not collect food and green waste?
We won't collect your food and green waste recycling bin if:
- it has incorrect items
- it's too close to obstacles such as trees, poles, other bins or parked cars
- you put it out too late
- it weighs more than 30kg
- it's overfilled
- it has anything on top or leaning against it.
I have extra green waste
You can dispose of extra green waste at the Darebin Resource Recovery Centre (fees apply).
You can also compost your green waste for free at home using a compost bin. See composting, bokashi and worm farms for information on reducing your waste at home.