Declutter your home
Are you looking to declutter your house or garage? You may have a lot of reusable or recyclable items that don't need to go to landfill.
Share or donate your items
If you have unwanted items that are still in good conditions, there are many ways to give them a second life:
- donate the items to an organisation or charity
- consider giving them away through an online network such as the Darebin Hard Rubbish Heroes (DHRH) Facebook group, who help save usable items and materials from landfill. Darebin residents can post their unwanted items to the DHRH page to help find the item a new home or can post a request to be contacted by DHRH to discuss other options for their items.
Other online networks include your local Good Karma Network, Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, Trading Post, eBay or freecycle.
Recycle your items
If you have items that are beyond repair, check if you can recycle them before throwing them in the bin or on hard rubbish.
Here are just a few of the things that our Darebin Resource Recovery Centre can take:
- household and car batteries
- CDs and DVD players
- building materials
- computers and related accessories
- fluorescent globes and tubes
- cameras and accessories
- empty gas bottles
- light bulbs
- scrap metal
- cooking oil
- ovens and stoves
- car tyres.