Trees on private property

Increasing urban density makes our remaining trees increasingly important. We use the Planning Scheme and Local Law to protect significant trees.

With the increasing density of urban development occurring in Darebin we are seeing a reduction in the number of large trees on private land, therefore Council believes that the health and sustainability of our remaining trees is becoming increasingly important. Darebin uses the Planning Scheme and a Local Law to protect significant trees on private property.

Do I need a permit to remove a tree or vegetation on my property?

There are 2 situations where you will need a permit to remove a tree or vegetation on your property.

1. Your property has an existing planning permit, Vegetation Protection Overlay (VPO), Environmental Significance Overlay (ESO) or Heritage Overlay (HO)

Trees or vegetation may be protected by a planning permit. To find out if your property is located within an overlay, browse Victorian planning schemes.
To check if there is an existing planning permit on your property, or for more information relating to the planning application process, contact our Planning Department on 03 8470 8888.

2. Your property has a significant tree

A significant tree is a tree that has a single or combined trunk circumference greater than 100cm (1000mm) measured at 1.5m above ground level and is taller than 8m.

A permit is not required to remove a tree (or part of a tree) in the following circumstances:

  • The removal of part of a tree that poses an immediate risk to persons or property. Only that part of a tree that poses an immediate risk may be removed under this exemption; Trees declared as noxious weeds under the Catchment and Land Protections Act 1994;
  • The removal of dead fronds from a palm tree;
  • For pruning of non-structural branches 75mm in diameter or less. Residents are advised to contact Darebin Parks for advice.

How to apply for a Tree Protection Permit

  1. Complete the Tree Protection Application Form
  2. Lodge your application to:
    Fax: (03) 8470 8877
  3. On approval of this application an invoice will be provided for payment.

View the Tree Protection Local Law frequently asked questions.


More information:

Customer service
Call: (03) 8470 8888