Property valuation

people in a meeting

Property valuation is carried out by State Government in accordance with state legislation. Councils are responsible for issuing rate notices.

How your valuation is calculated

Property values are determined by qualified Valuers, who are appointed by the State Government. Valuers use information such as sales data, rentals, building plans and permits to help them determine an accurate valuation of your property. Some properties will also be externally inspected for data verification.

Each year, all rateable properties are revalued with a valuation date of 1 January in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act (1960). The value of each property is used as part of calculating what each property owner will pay in rates.

Supplementary valuations

If changes are made to a property that could alter its value, a supplementary valuation is conducted during the year. Your rates are then adjusted pro-rata for the year, based upon the completion date of the changes.

Relevant changes could include alterations, additions, demolitions, subdivision, changes in the use of a property or zoning amendments.

Your rates notice

Your property's rates are based on your Capital Improved Value (CIV).

Your Rate Notice has three valuation figures in total:

  1. Capital Improved Value (CIV) - total market value of the land plus buildings and any other improvements of your property.
  2. Site Valuation (SV) - market value of the land only.
  3. Net Annual Value (NAV) - current value of a property's net annual rent:
    • For residential properties, this is 5% of the CIV.
    • For non-residential properties, this is either the annual rental value or 5% of the CIV (whichever value is greater).

Enquire about your valuation

Use our online valuation enquiry form if you have questions about your property valuation (about 1 min to complete).

Online valuation enquiry

Objecting to a valuation

The annual objection period for 2023-24 closes on 13 October 2023.

As a ratepayer, you have the right under Section 16 of the Valuation of Land Act (1960) to object to the valuation of property.

The reasons you can object to a valuation are given under Section 17 of the Act.

How to lodge an objection

  1. A formal objection must be in writing, stating reasons and evidence to support your claim.
  2. You must advise Council of the objection within two months of the issue date on your Rate Notice.
  3. You lodge your objection using our online valuation enquiry.

Online valuation enquiry

You can also:

What happens next

Your objection and valuation will be reviewed. A qualified Valuer will either write to you with the review outcome or will call to discuss it further.

Lodging an objection appeal with VCAT

Land tax objection and council rating valuations

  • The State Revenue Office (SRO) uses the Council-assessed Site Value (SV) of your land to calculate land tax.
  • Any objections to the Site Value must be made to the State Revenue Office within two months of receiving the Land Tax Assessment.
  • Visit the SRO Land Tax page to learn more.

Rental surveys in Darebin for 2023–2024

Valuer-General Victoria (VGV) is currently undertaking a revaluation of all properties for rating purposes within the City of Darebin. These valuations will be used by Council for the 2024-25 financial year.

As part of the revaluation process, property rental information is being collected from property owners, agents and tenants. VGV’s appointed Valuers, Westlink Consulting, are collecting rental information for commercial and other properties in order to ensure that the returned valuations are accurate and that the impact of current market conditions is properly considered. Authority for the collection of this information is contained within the Valuation of Land Act 1960.

The information is being collected by a short online rental survey. The information provided will be used for valuation purposes and updating Council’s property records in compliance with the Valuation of Land Act 1960 and the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. The information you provide will not be disclosed to any other external party without your consent, unless required or authorised by law.

If you have any questions about the survey please contact Westlink on 03 8456 5104 or via email at