Northern Trails Strategy 2022
The Northern Trails Strategy is a regional strategy for planning, development and improvement of walking and bike riding trails in Northern Melbourne.
The strategy was developed in 2016 in collaboration with Merri-bek, Banyule, Hume, Whittlesea and Nillumbik councils, and updated in 2022.
We thank the community for their valuable feedback on the strategy during the 2022 update.
The updated Strategy supports local government and other land management authorities to work together to deliver a connected and well-used trail network that prioritises accessibility and promotes healthy and active communities.
The Strategy identifies priority projects for the northern region and each of the partner councils to improve the northern trails network.
Our top 10 priority projects
- Investigate a new section of trail along the creek from Carrington Road to Edwardes Lake. Explore the feasibility of a trail between Kia Ora Road and Henty Street on the east bank.
- Construct a section of trail along the creek from Glasgow Avenue to the Metropolitan Ring Road
- Improve access at the St Georges Road / Merri Parade / Charles Street intersection to connect the Merri Creek Trail to the Northern Pipe Trail and create a direct access point to and from the trail with pedestrian and cyclist priority
- Investigate the feasibility of a new section of trail, including a new bridge crossing, from the Darebin Creek Trail, at Holt Parade, around Mount Cooper to connect to the existing section of trail at Snake Gully Drive
- Investigate a new section of trail from High Street (near the Melbourne Water Reservoirs) along the vacant pipe reserve to the Merri Creek Trail at Murray Road. Existing road crossings to be considered.
- Provide wayfinding signage along the length of the trail
- Construct a section of trail from the Northern Pipe / St Georges Road / Cheddar Road Trail north east along the vacant pipe reserve
- Construct a section of trail from the Northern Pipe / St Georges Road / Cheddar Road Trail south west along the vacant pipe reserve to Edwardes Lake Park
- Investigate the feasibility of an underpass or bridge crossing Plenty Road intersection to avoid section of trail on Plenty Road footpath
- Replace the Harding Street Bridge to cater for shared use