Business resources and support
Find the latest details on our economic and business profile, as well as resources and organisations to support your business development.
- Darebin Business Webinar Series was an initiative of Darebin City Council’s $11.8M Community and Business Recovery and Resilience Package in 2020. Through this series local industry experts provided information and advice on a range of topics including business development, leadership, marketing, cashflow, workplace wellbeing and much more to help support you and your business. Watch the Darebin Business Webinar series or choose individual webinars to learn more.
- Sustainability Matters is an annual free event showcasing Darebin Businesses and discussions focus on sharing what local businesses do to minimise their carbon footprint whilst reducing their bills, increasing business productivity, efficiency and being innovative. Watch last years event on the Sustainable Business You Tube Playlist.
- Darebin Business Map As part of our Love Local campaign, we have built the Darebin Business Map to encourage the Darebin and wider community to shop and eat locally, source supplies from local businesses and to engage local professionals. View the Darebin Business Map or learn how to register your business.
- Sustainable Business Playlist Uncover Darebin’s Sustainable Business leaders and hear how they started and continue to reduce their carbon footprint whilst reducing their bills, increasing business productivity, efficiency and thinking differently. Watch the Sustainable Business You Tube Playlist to learn more.
- Disability resources - Good Access is Good Business Did you know that around 20% of our community experience disability? GAGB resources include handbooks and checklists to support businesses to become more inclusive and accessible for people with disability in Darebin. Download the two separate booklets for each: GAGB Café Handbook and Checklist, GAGB Retail Handbook and Checklist and GAGB Office Handbook and Checklist.
- Canva tutorials – Learn the basics and how to navigate the online design platform to create your own logo, flyers, posters, presentations, templates and much more. Tutorials include how to insert images, how to choose a layout, what are the elements, how to choose your layout and how to insert text.
Industry and business
- Darebin Enterprise Centre Ltd (DECL) is a non-profit organisation that can help with the start up and growth of your small business.
- Enterprise Connect is an Australian Government initiative that offers advice and support to small and medium-sized businesses.
- Small Business Mentoring Service is an independent non-profit organisation that provides one-on-one advice from an experienced mentor in your field.
- Business Victoria is a comprehensive online resource offering a range of services such as starting or buying a business, finding the right licences, employing and managing people, and much more.
- National Retailers Association is a non-profit organisation that support, inform, protect and represent the interests of retailers and quick service restaurants.
- Social Traders is a non-profit organisation that supports and encourages the establishment of social enterprises Australia-wide. Social Enterprises take a number of forms and deliver outcomes as diverse as employment for the disadvantaged, production of important goods and services, or fundraising for other charitable activities and community projects.
- NORTH Link is a northern regional partnership of industry, education and government established for the purposes of economic development, regional marketing and promotion of Melbourne’s north. NORTH Link also provides information to prospective business investors in Melbourne’s north.
- Inner Northern Group Training was established by local government to promote employment through the apprenticeship and traineeship systems.
- The Inner Northern Local Learning and Employment Network (INLLEN) is a non-profit organisation funded by the Victorian Government that aims to improve education, training and employment outcomes for young people aged 10-19 years in the municipalities of Darebin, Moreland and Yarra.
Employment, education and training
- LaTrobe University run their courses in Entrepreneurship and Business at their Bundoora location. They also run an accelerator for startups and have expanded into a range of online and short courses.
- Melbourne Polytechnic TAFE have industry-specific courses on Entrepreneurship, Business Management and short courses. For more information you can visit their Northland Skills and Jobs Centre.
- Unemployed? Have a great business idea? Check out New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS). It’s a Commonwealth Government funded program that provides help to unemployed people who would like to start a small business.
- APlus is a training company that help employers in the northern metropolitan area find the right staff. They also work with apprentices and trainees to find job opportunities
The City of Darebin's economic profile including information on the City's role within the broader economy.
We partner with Government, Industry Associations and Education Institutions to support growth, investment and stimulate economic activity in Darebin.
Business associations work with businesses and Council to ensure the ongoing success of their local areas.
Find out what incentives and support services are available for employers who hire local jobseekers.