Financial assistance options

Lady using laptop on Darebin park bench.png

Get details on our hardship policy, pensioner rebate policy and non ratable land.

Assistance with financial difficulties

If you are experiencing financial difficulties with paying your rates and charges by the due date, please contact us to discuss options.

Please do not wait until the due date to contact us if you are facing financial hardship.

Rates Financial Hardship Policy

Council recognises there are people in the community who face financial hardship. Our Rates Financial Hardship Policy(PDF, 193KB) is aimed to support Darebin ratepayers facing genuine financial hardship.

Financial hardship is when a property owner is unable to pay their bills rather than being unwilling to meet them.

If you are experiencing financial hardship, please read the Rates Financial Hardship Policy(PDF, 193KB) and the Rates Financial Hardship Policy - Quick Reference Guide(PDF, 102KB).

Under this policy, Darebin ratepayers can apply to us for assistance with rates or charges levied on a property.

Assistance can only be granted to individuals experiencing financial hardship for payment of rates on their principal place of residence.

Requests for assistance must be in writing via the Rates Financial Hardship Application Form, providing full details of the circumstances preventing you from meeting your financial obligations to us. If you would like to speak to us prior to making your application, please call us on 03 8470 8880.

Pensioner rate rebate

If you hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (with war widow or TPI classification), and you live at the property shown on the rate notice, you may be eligible for a rebate.

  • Eligible pensioners will receive a rebate from the State Government along with a Darebin Council Rebate.
  • You will also be eligible for a rebate off your Fire Services Property Levy.
  • If a rebate does not show on your rate notice, you can apply for the concession by mail or in person.
  • You do not need to separately apply for the Darebin Council Rebate as we will automatically apply this once you have been verified for the State Government Pension Rebate.

Applying in person

Application forms are available at any Customer Service Centre.

  • Simply bring your pension card and fill out the form in person.

Applying by mail

  1. Download the application form from the State Government's Municipal rates concessions page
  2. Add a photocopy of both the front and back of your pension card
  3. Mail the completed form and the photocopy to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston 3072

Apply for land to be made non-rateable

It's quick and easy to apply online:

Note: 'land' includes the buildings and/or structures on the land.

Apply for land to be made non-rateable

More information

Customer Service
Phone: 03 8470 8888