Child care

Starting child care is an important milestone in your life and your child’s life.

All child care services must comply with legislation and Victorian Department of Education and Training regulations.

Types of care

There are different types of care for different situations:

Child care

Known as Long day care (LDC) - often called Early Learning Centres is available for children whose families / carers are working, volunteering or studying.

Occasional care

This form of child care not only helps parents who require care on a less regular basis, it can also be booked weekly care.

Darebin City Council operate a registration system for a number of LDC services operating across the municipality.
Completion of a registration form does not guarantee a child care placement.


You can download our map of child care centres and kindergartens or see a list of child care centres and kindergartens located in Darebin.

Services on the registration system

We take registrations for eight participating community-managed services. These are operated by either a committee of management or early years management organisation.

Annie Dennis Childrens Centre 2 Oldis Avenue
Darebin Child Care & Kindergarten 260 Gower Street
Darebin Child Care & Kindergarten 6—8 Kenilworth Street
Merri Community Child Care Centre & Kindergarten 313 St Georges Road
Merrilands Early Learning 23—25 Ryans Road Reservoir
Nara Community Early Learning Centre 77—91 St Georges Road Preston
Oakhill Children’s Centre 91 North Road
Raleigh Street Community Children's Centre 28 Raleigh Street

What do you need to do?

  • your child needs to be born before you can register
  • your child’s proof of birth documents, birth certificate, passport, hospital declaration certificate
  • receipt of your administration fee payment if providing a paper registration form 

Registering for child care does not guarantee a child care position.

How to register

The easiest way to register for childcare is online:

Register for childcare

Note: if you need help with the Darebin Central Online portal contact the Darebin Registration Team 

Other ways to register

You can still register using a paper form.

These are available from any of our Customer Service Centres, or the Registration Team can email one to you.

Phone: 8470 8825  or email registration.kindergarten

You can pay the administration fee online you will need to supply the receipt of payment when sending in your form.

We charge a one-off administration fee for the registration of each child. Administration fees are waived for eligible Australian Government concession cards holders.

Immunisation — "No jab, no play" legislation

For your child's enrolment at kindergarten to be confirmed, you will need to provide the child care service with evidence of your child’s up to date immunisation statement.

A current immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register, the statement must show your child is up to date with all vaccinations that are due for their age. Or they're up to date with the vaccinations they're able to receive.

The immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register is the only document accepted for enrolments. Letters from GPs or local councils are not accepted.

Our immunisation service can get your family up-to-date with vaccinations. Find out about our vaccinations clinics and upcoming vaccination dates

You can find out more about the No Jab No Play legislation on the Better Health Channel or Australian Department of Human Services

More information

Contact Darebin Registration Team
Phone: 03 8470 8825


Starting Blocks - provides parents with information about children's education and care.

Complaints about services

Darebin City Council does not own or operate any Early Years services.  The Services in the Darebin area are managed by a range of providers.  These include Parent Committees of Management as well as Private operators and Early Years Management.

If you have any concerns or complaints about the care provided at the service you attend your first point of call should be to approach the service.   Your service is required to have a complaint procedure and policy.  These should be available to you on the services website, in their handbook or on display in the foyer. The policy should be made available to you on request.

If you would like to then take the complaint further, you can make a complaint to the Department of Education and Training


Are you looking for childcare?
Community managed child care centres


Colourful pencils - Recruitment FAQs
Do you have a question about the Darebin Child Care Registration List? We can help.