Residential parking permits
You require a permit to park in specifically marked permit areas.
People who have parking restrictions outside or within 100 metres of their home can apply for a permit to park in the area to stay over the time limit.
Apply for a resident parking permit
Please read these two documents about parking permits:
To apply for the permit, you will need:
- Your car's registration number.
- 2 documents proving that you live at the address for the permit.
Renewing your permit
Resident parking permits expire on the last day of each month, 12 months from the date of issue. We will send you a renewal notice 4 weeks before your permit expires.
You can make payment by credit card online and the permit will be posted to you within 7 business days.
If you require a replacement permit, you need to print, complete and submit the replacement residential parking permit application form.
Please do not send cash in the mail. If sending an application in the mail, you can pay with a money order or by cheque. Otherwise, you can go to one of our customer service locations for other payment options.
For all other questions, please read the residential parking permit frequently asked questions.
Apply for a carer parking permit
Carer permits are available to Darebin residents living with a disability or a long-term health condition. A maximum of one transferable carer permit per resident is available which will be valid for a period of 12 months. Carer permits are free to eligible residents.
To be eligible for a carer permit, an applicant (the person receiving care) must:
- live in a property in Darebin within 100m of where Time Restricted Parking or Permit Zone restrictions apply.
- have disability or a long-term health condition that requires a visiting carer, as evidenced by the below.
To apply for a carer permit
You will need:
- One document proving that you live at the address for the permit
- One of the following documents:
- a Companion Card
- appropriate documents from a government health body indicating disability or a long-term health condition that requires visiting carers;
- appropriate documents from a medical practitioner or psychologist indicating disability or a long-term health condition that requires a visiting carer;
- Evidence of being a NDIS participant
- Evidence of My Aged Care support plan
Temporary parking permits
Temporary parking permits are available for all properties for a 4-week period.
- Type 1 temporary permits are available to residents of properties that were constructed prior to December 2004
- Type 2 temporary permits are available to residents of properties that were constructed after December 2004
Number of permits
Each household can have a maximum of two residential parking permits.
Cost of permits
Permits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue .
|Type of permit||Yearly fee|
|Pension first permit||$23|
|Pension second permit||$35|
|Type 1 temporary permit||$46 per month|
|Type 2 temporary permit||
$100 for the first month
$300 for subsequent months within a 12 month period
Parking using a permit
The residential parking permit will allow you to park outside residential properties only in the area that it was issued. To find the parking area applicable to your property, view our Local parking area map.
These permits are not valid on a main road and do not exempt the holder from receiving penalties for Clearways, No Stopping, Loading Zones or other statutory offences.