Learn what you can do about noise disturbances, and what powers are legislated for Council and other authorities to respond with.

Residential Noise affecting your Health

Darebin is a diverse Municipality with a variety of land uses and is increasingly becoming high density with apartment style living. As such, some noise is expected and needs to be accepted however the noise must not be unreasonable to neighbouring properties.

Too much noise can reduce a person’s quality of life and what may be enjoyable to one person, may not be enjoyable to others. So it’s important to be considerate when creating noise.

General noise complaints video

What can I do about a noisy neighbouring property?

Try talking with your neighbour first

If you are experiencing concerns with noisy neighbours, the best approach is to talk with them first. You may feel anxious about approaching your neighbour, but quite often they are not aware they are disturbing you. Having a discussion in the first instance with your neighbour about the problems that the noise has created will make your neighbours aware and be more considerate towards you in the future.

My problem hasn't been easily resolved

Should initial talks with your neighbour fail to find a solution to your concerns, the Department of Justice offer a free and confidential mediation service through the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV). The service is free and is a simpler and cheaper alternative to taking civil disputes through the courts.

The process does require the voluntary participation of both parties; however mediation through the Dispute Settlement Centre results in 85% of disputes ending in agreements.

For more information, please see their website or contact them on 1300 372 888.

When to contact council

Council and other authorities can investigate residential noise reports where the noise occurs frequently, during prohibited times and/or there there is impact to an individuals health.

You will be required to complete and submit a 14 day Residential Noise Log before council can investigate any requests. After reviewing the log Council will advise if the matter can be investigated or if the matter is better settled privately.

Why is a residential noise log needed?

The submission of a residential noise log assists Council with determining the duration and frequency of the noise in assessing if it is a potential breach.

These logs can also be used as evidence in the court of law should a noise issue be required to be heard by a magistrate.

In some cases multiple residents including the owner or occupier creating the noise will be completing logs so it is important that they are answered truthfully.

Residential noise issues we can investigate

Security alarm noise

Security alarms on both premises and vehicles should in the first instance be reported to Victoria Police by calling 000 in the event they are sounding due to an intruder.

Should the alarm be sounding repeatedly when the resident is not home, it is best to approach the owner/resident regarding the noise as they may not be aware the issue is occurring. If the owner is not contactable, try contacting either someone known to the neighbour or a managing body to cease the noise and attempt to find a cause.

Should the alarm noise continue and the owner has taken no action we suggest you contact us on 03 8470 8888. You will be required to submit a residential noise log for a period of 14 days to report your complaint.

Building and construction noise

Construction noise during the daytime is considered reasonable. The commencement of building works are governed through Council’s General Local Law 2015 which stipulates:

S 16 – Asset Protection

  1. Except in the case of an emergency or in accordance with a permit, an owner, the owner’s builder or the owner’s agent must ensure that no building works are undertaken outside of the following hours:
  • 7am and 8pm – Mondays to Fridays
  • 9am and 6pm – Saturdays
  • Building activity is allowed on public holidays and will need to meet the same times listed above, depending on the day the public falls on.
  1. An owner or occupier is permitted to undertake building works on a Sunday between 9am and 6pm on premises that they are living in. Should you feel that a site is in breach of the Local Law, please contact Council’s Building Site Compliance Officer on 03 8470 8899.

    Building noise that is expected within the prescribed hours above includes:

  • electric power tools
  • chainsaws
  • generators
  • circular saws
  • gas or air compressors
  • pneumatic power tools
  • impacting or grinding tools.

If you have an issue with noise coming from a building site during permitted hours, we recommend you discuss these concerns with the builder or site manager.

Noisy animals

Barking dogs and noisy animals can in some circumstances be considered a nuisance.

If you have an issue with a neighbour’s noisy animal, speak to the owners first about a possible solution. A pet owner has the responsibility to ensure that their animal does not become a nuisance.

For further information on noisy animals or barking dogs, please see our noisy animals information.

Residential noise

The Environment Protection Act 2017 creates an offence to cause unreasonable noise from any residential premises.

In determining whether a noise is unreasonable, consideration is given to the time, frequency, volume, duration and intensity of the noise.

For further information on the times that noise can be made, please see the Environment Protection Regulations 2021. However it’s important to note that in some circumstances, residential noise can still be considered unreasonable at any time of day.

If initial attempts to talk to and mediate with your neighbour fail, please contact Council on 03 8470 8888 to lodge a complaint. You will be required to submit a Residential Noise Log for a period of 14 days to report your complaint.

Residential and construction noise complaints video

Noise from major industry

If you are a resident concerned about noise from major industry you can report the noise to EPA. The EPA mainly investigates noise from industries such as EPA-licensed sites and manufacturing sites.

For further information please see the EPA Commercial and Industrial Noise website or contact them on 1300 372 842.

Commercial noise

Concerns relating to commercial noise and activities from shops and other small commercial premises can be investigated by council. Investigations are carried out by either Council’s Health Protection Unit or Planning Investigations dependent on what conditions are contained within the premises planning permit.

In many cases, businesses may not be aware that the noise they are creating is affecting nearby residents. Bringing this to their attention will not only make business operators aware of your concerns but they are also likely to be more considerate in future.

Should your attempts to discuss your concerns with the business owner fail, please complete a planning enforcement noise log for a period of 14 days and contact Council on 03 8470 8888 to report your complaint.

It should be noted that residents who chose to abut or reside within commercial zoning are reasonably expected to experience higher levels of noise than those surrounded by residential zoning.

Noise - commercial and industrial video

Noise from entertainment venues

Loud music from venues can be an issue for nearby residents when the noise occurs late in the night.

Compliance with EPA policy is commonly within a venues liquor licence and may also be within the premises planning permit. To view a premises liquor licence please visit the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation website.

For irregular or infrequent occurrences after hours, Victoria Police are best suited to attend venues when the noise is occurring.

For ongoing issues, please complete a 14 day planning enforcement noise log and contact Council on 03 8470 8888 to report your complaint.

Noise issues we cannot investigate

Type of Noise

Who to Contact

Contact Details

Vehicles entering or leaving a property (including warming up)

Also includes noise associated with vehicles entering and leaving such as security gates or garage doors.

You should talk directly with your neighbour.

Victoria Police and the EPA are responsible for ensuring registered vehicles are roadworthy and compliant with noise emissions. More information is available the EPA website on transport noise.

Local police stations

Concrete pours out of prescribed hours

Construction works during daytime hours

These are considered ‘unavoidable works’ as per the EPA Noise Control Guidelines and further detail on the duration and / or finishing time may be gained from the site supervisor.

Contact the site supervisor are located on boundary fencing

People noise including fighting, foul language, loitering and domestic disputes or where there are public safety issues.

Victoria Police

Phone 000 in an emergency

Domestic activity such as closing doors, talking, laughing, flushing toilets, ball sports and children playing.

Private matter

Planned permitted works that are required to be conducted out of hours due to public safety

Outdoor music events where EPA permits have been issued

The EPA issue works approvals and permits for these situations

EPA website

Call 1300 372 842

Train track maintenance

Metro Trains / Public Transport Victoria (PTV)

Other contact: Public Transport Ombudsman (PTO)

Metro / PTV
1800 800 007

PTO 1800 466 865

Tram track maintenance

Yarra Trams / Public Transport Victoria (PTV)

Other contact: Public Transport Ombudsman (PTO)

Yarra Trams / PTV
1800 800 007

PTO 1800 466 865

Aircraft noise

Air Services Australia

Air Services Australia website

1800 802 584

Emergency utility works

You will need to talk to the operator conducting the works and they may be able to provide and expected completion date or time.

  • Bundoora - Ausnet
  • Fairfield, Northcote and Thornbury - Citipower
  • Fairfield, Northcote and Thornbury - Jemena


Australian Gas Networks


Yarra Valley Water

Emergency road works

Vic Roads

13 11 71


Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)

Drones information on CASA website

Late night music and party noise

After hours noise coming from music and parties, contact Victoria Police

Local police stations