Events in parks
Outdoor events in Darebin’s parks and open spaces
We have a range of vibrant parks and open spaces that are suitable for picnics, barbecues, festivals and community events.
If you are interested in organising an event in one of Darebin’s parks it is important that you first visit the how to plan your event page and follow the relevant instructions. Please do note that:
- Bookings are not required for casual gatherings in Parks and Open Spaces.
- For events over 200 people, you must apply for an event permit.
- Please ensure that you follow the application submission instructions and comply with the assessment timeframe provided on the plan your event page.
- To host an event at an outdoor space, you can submit your proposal online:
A parks events proposal can be completed online in about 5 mins if you have your:
- Site plan
- Permit / permit checklist
- Accessibility assessment
- Emergency plan
- COVID-Safe plan
- Risk assessment
Events not required to apply for a permit
In some cases, events may not need a permit.
Some examples include:
- Sporting events which are presented as part of a regular fixture and run by clubs within existing lease agreements.
- Group fitness activities.
- BBQs, birthday parties and Christmas functions under 100 people, that do not involve things like temporary infrastructure, amplification and amusements.
If you are unsure if your event requires approval and / or a permit, please get in touch with our Events Officer on 03 8470 8888.
Conditions to consider
Our parks and open spaces are a wonderful asset and important feature for enjoyment by our community and visitors. If you would like to hold an event in a park, you are responsible for returning these sites to their original condition this includes responsibly disposing of all rubbish.
We have a single-use plastic free events policy to eliminate single-use plastic products at events run by Darebin and events held on Council land. The policy extends to all council owned buildings, venues and roads. Its aim is to reduce the harm caused by single-use plastic products. This requires your co-operation by not having single use plastics at your event.
We do not allow vehicles to enter park lands. It is also important to know that public parks are always open to the community. As such, you are unable to prevent others from using park facilities and enjoying these spaces.
We will not permit any inflatable structures (including jumping castles) on Council land.
Access to the power boxes in parks will not be permitted.
Please note that site approval is conditional and may be revoked for matters related to non-compliance and other events such as extreme weather.
Tips when visiting our parks
- Dispose of all of your rubbish responsibly in a bin or take it home with you
- Avoid glass
- Remember to comply with all COVID-19 health regulations to keep safe
- Respect neighbours and keep noise to an appropriate level
- Do not peg down any marquees - only use weights
- Clean up after your dog and keep them on a leash unless you’re in a designated off-leash area
- Use the public toilets provided
Temporary signs for non-commercial events in parks and open spaces
If you plan to erect temporary signs on Council land to publicise a non-commercial, community event you can apply online:
The application process provides information about the type of signage, locations, artwork and other requirements.
Trading in parks and open spaces
Outdoor trading is an important part of the retail environment and can significantly add ambience and enjoyment to an area while supporting our businesses to thrive. Businesses and traders are encouraged to explore our footpath trading policy.
With respect to trading in our parks and open spaces, we must balance the need to provide a safe environment for all people who visit our parks for the strict enjoyment of the natural environment.
This policy does not extend to business owners who provide services such as personal training and leisure activities. Should you wish to conduct personal training in Darebin parks, please obtain a personal training permit.
We take great pride in maintaining a high standard of safety within our parks and open spaces and as such, we limit trading at parks and open spaces to large public events only. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation to help us protect our parks and all associated amenities.