How to plan your event

Girl with a giant bubble at a festival

There are many things to think about when you're planning an event. This page will guide you through what's required.

If you are planning a public or private event in a public space in the City of Darebin, you may need an event permit. Permits are in place to ensure that event organisers run their events in a safe and compliant manner, and that the event doesn’t unduly impact the publics use of these spaces or negatively impact residents or businesses in the area. They are also in place to ensure event organisers leave the public spaces as they found them, ready for the public to enjoy.

Not every event will require a permit, although most will. Some events will also require other permits to be obtained as part of the application process.

Events between mid-December and mid-Janaury

If your event will be between 15 December 2023 and 15 January 2024, you need to apply for a permit before 4 December 2023 to have your application reviewed.

The Events Team will have reduced staff from 15 December 2023 to 4 January 2024, so events submitted after 4 December will need additional time for processing.

On this page:

Step by step guide for planning your event

To assist you in streamlining this, we have outlined the step-by-step process of applying for an event permit below.

Step 1: Book your event site

Before you apply for an event permit, you need to have permission to hold your event in the event site of your choosing. These are most commonly Darebin’s many parks and open spaces, but can also be a road, footpath, carpark or other public space.

Not all spaces are suitable for events, and even the spaces that are suitable are not available year around. To ensure you have reserved the space you want, and have permission to hold your event there, you need to book the event site.

Where is your event going to be?

If your event is using more than one of these spaces, you will need approval from each team.

Once you have approval for the site of your event, you can then apply for an event permit.

Step 2: What type of event is it?

The first step to applying for a permit is to know what type of event you are holding. This will determine:

  • what documentation you will be required to submit
  • how much lead time you need to allow when submitting your application
  • how much your permit fees will be.

Your event may also require a Place of Public Entertainment occupancy permit (POPE) as well, if it is a building or substantially enclosed public area of more than 500 square metres that used for public assembly.

You will also need an occupancy permit and siting permit for a prescribed temporary structure.

Find out about event and temporary structure permits.

Event type guide

The table below will help you

  • figure out the type of event you are holding and what its overall risk is
  • determine how much documentation you will need to submit
  • give you an idea of how long the application process may take

A low or medium impact event won’t need as much detail as a high-risk event, for example.

Step 3: Plan your event

Now that you know how much time you need to allow for your permit application deadline, you can begin planning your event.

To avoid any delays, make sure you have all the documents ready before you submit your application. Documents will be uploaded as attachments during the application process.

Templates are available to download below if required, but you may use your own forms provided they address the required information.

Depending on the elements your event has, you may need to provide additional supporting documents and permits to show that these elements are compliant.

Template documents

You can use templates below to help you with planning your event. You can use these as your documents, or as a reference to create your own versions to suit your event.

You will still need to provide all the relevant information if you create your own.

It is recommended that you read the Event Planning Guide(PDF, 213KB) to make sure you are considering all the information relevant to your event.

Once you have your completed documents, you are now ready to apply for your event permit.

Apply for an event permit

Once your application has been received, you will receive a confirmation email. Later on, you will be sent an invoice for the permit fee. Please note the permit cannot be issued until the invoice is paid.

Step 4: Permit assessment

The permit assessment process can take a long time and will vary based on the size and complexity of your event.

You can help with processing your application quickly by:

  • ensuring you are as thorough as possible with your application
  • upload the correct documents.

This will reduce the number of times we need to ask you for more information.

Our review process

The permit assessment process:

  • reviews your submitted documentation
  • consulting with other councils or external parties to ensure compliance is being met
  • ensuring the event will be run in a safe and coordinated way

We may ask for supporting documents.

Once the permit has been approved, it will be issued to you via email and will contain a list of conditions that must be followed for the permit to remain valid.

It is always your responsibility as the event organiser for the safety and security of everyone working on, attending or passing by your event. This is what we need to see has been considered in the application.

If you have any questions, or are unsure about any part of your application, you can reach out to the Festivals and Events team on 03 8470 8080 or email us on for advice or read the Event Planning Guide(PDF, 213KB) for more information.

Restrictions at your event

We like to encourage events of all shapes and sizes within the City of Darebin, however there are some things that are not permitted at events.

  • Inflatable structures of any kind are currently prohibited in the City of Darebin. This includes jumping castles, inflatable slides, mazes or any other inflatable structure.
  • Fireworks are prohibited in City of Darebin.
  • Bins must be provided by the event and cannot be supplied by us. It is the organisers responsibility to ensure all waste is disposed of correctly, and that the event site is left as it was before you arrived.

Accessibility at your event

Accessibility is crucial to an inclusive and safe event for all. Our Access Enabled Event Guide(PDF, 301KB) can help you to ensure your event is accessible.

Free bin cap loans

It is important for all events to consider the impact their event will have on the environment. Bin caps are an effective way of ensuring that waste is disposed of in the correct manner.

To assist community groups with this, we have a small number of bin caps available for loan. There are:

  • Red – general waste
  • Yellow – recycled waste
  • Green – food and organic waste

These can be borrowed from our Preston Customer Service Centre.

Collection and returns can be arranged by contacting us on or contacting customer service.

Temporary signs

If you plan to erect temporary signs on Council land to publicise a non-commercial, community event you can apply below. The form will ask you about type of signage, locations, artwork and some other requirements:

Apply for temporary signage for community events

More information

Festival and Event Officer
Phone: 03 8470 8080