If you have an idea to activate a vacant shop, we want to hear from you.
Council works with real estate agents, property owners and business to transform areas of vacant shops, graffiti tagging and bill posters into economically stimulated and culturally charged destinations.
We are currently reviewing the Active Spaces program suitable for a recovery program.
This hands-on approach provides support with:
- Assistance in finding an appropriate property
- Negotiating a reasonable rent with the real estate agent or the property owner
- If required negotiating a short-term lease agreement with the option to use our Exclusive Licence Agreement.
- Business mentoring and business setup 101
- Marketing, promotion and networking opportunities
- Information and support with council permits and processes
- Guidance to find suitable insurance
- Promotion on our Facebook page and in other Council publications
- A small one-off grant to assist with start-up costs
- Negotiating for the right property
Since the program launch, we have worked with a broad range of creative businesses that have included:
- Not-For-Profit projects
- Social enterprises
- Co-working spaces
- Artist's requiring studio spaces, workshops & rehearsal spaces
- Shop window galleries Art exhibitions/installations
- Artists creating public art and murals
To get involved
Read the information sheet and contact us to discuss your creative project or business idea.