Family violence and counselling
Family violence is threatening, violent or controlling behaviour by someone against a family member or someone with whom they have, or has had, an intimate relationship.
Violent behaviour includes not only physical assaults but also:
- direct or indirect threats
- sexual assault
- emotional and psychological torment
- economic control
- property damage
- social isolation.
If you're in immediate danger, call the Police on 000 (triple zero).
Other ways of getting help
Family violence support services
Orange Door: Orange Door is a free service for adults, children and young people who are experiencing or have experienced family violence. It supports families who need extra support caring for children, and is the support service for perpetrators of family violence. Phone: 1800 319 355 (north-east region specific)
w|respect: A family violence and intimate partner violence service supporting LGBTIQ+ communities and their families. WithRespect offers a service model which can respond to both the person impacted by violence and the person using violence. Phone: 1800 542 847
Preventing violence against women and gender equity
We have a strong commitment to promoting gender equity and preventing violence against women before it happens. For more details please visit our Gender Equity page.
Darebin Family Violence Network
The Darebin Family Violence Network (DFVN) includes 30 organisations that offers family violence services in Darebin. The network aims to raise awareness of family violence and improve service coordination and access. It meets every two months. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact our Gender Equity Officer
Phone: 03 8470 8498
We can give in-home support to families in crisis who need emotional support and resources. This includes emotional support and resources to parents of children under 18 years of age.
Our in-home support:
- builds on family strengths, while helping manage the challenges of everyday life
- enhances personal and family communication
- works together to identify and achieve family goals
- explores issues that may be affecting relationships
- helps families address issues such as family violence, mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse
- provides practical support and parenting strategies to help families to manage challenging behavior
- helps establish home routines that work for the family.
Contact our Darebin Family Services
or for more information see our Family Support Services brochure.