Managing speeding in local streets

Tyre burnout on a street

Learn how we can help to manage speeding in local streets.

Managing speeding in local streets

We deliver infrastructure and programs to help make Darebin’s streets safer through:

  • Investigating community road safety concerns
  • Delivering larger scale placemaking programs such as Your Street, Your Say
  • Applying for and delivering road safety infrastructure via Federal and State road safety programs
  • Delivering actions from our Transport Strategy 2007—2027

Speeding in your street

We can investigate reports of speeding on local roads. If speeding issues are identified on your street we may be able to help with:

  • The ‘Not So Fast’ program, which involves putting a flashing electronic speed board in a street for two weeks to remind drivers what speed they’re travelling at and encourage them to slow down
  • Requesting police enforcement
  • Applying to Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) for speed limit reductions
  • Longer-term, the street may be prioritised based on the community feedback through community consultation for traffic calming measures (speed humps, traffic islands etc.) through our Your Street, Your Say program.

You can report speeding in your street by contacting our customer service team on 03 8470 8888 or sending us an email at

Hoon driver behaviour

Anti-hoon laws aim to make roads safer and reduce road trauma. They give police the power to impound, immobilise or permanently confiscate vehicles driven dangerously. Read more about these laws on the Victoria Police website.

The definition of Hoon Driving is intentional high-risk driving and anti-social behaviour including:

  • Excessive speed
  • Dangerous behaviour
  • Drag racing
  • Overloaded vehicles
  • Intentional loss of traction on one or more wheels
  • Inciting, encouraging or organising any of the above

Victoria Police investigates and prosecutes hoon drivers. If you have concerns about hoon drivers in your area, call the Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or visit the Victoria Police Anti-hoon laws webpage.