Noisy animals

Howling dog

We can help you and the pet owner with advice.

Barking dogs and noisy animals can be a nuisance. If you have an issue with a neighbour's noisy animal, speak to the owners first about a possible solution. A pet owner has the responsibility to ensure that their animal does not become a nuisance.

Noise will only be considered a nuisance if it is persistent and disrupts your peace, comfort or convenience. We can give the owner advice on how to fix the problem.

Dogs, by their very nature bark some possible reasons may be from:

  • Boredom
  • Lack of exercise
  • Neighbourhood cats
  • Birds
  • Anything that moves

If the problem persists, then contact us for advice. We may ask you to keep records to show how often and how long the nuisance has continued on for.

More information

Customer service
Call: 03 8470 8888

Noise - dog barking

What do I do about a neighbour’s dog barking? Find out more about the rules and actions you can take.

Watch on YouTube

Show transcript

[Music intro, animation starts]

Voice male narrator: 00:00

Council can investigate dog barking complaints. However, any enforcement is a legal process requiring your participation and evidence. Before Council can investigate, you will be required to engage with the neighbours and be referred to the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria. If you are still unable to resolve this issue with your neighbours, contact Customer Service so that a Noise Pack can be posted or emailed to you. This pack will include helpful information, including a Noise Log and a Dear Neighbour letter. If all steps are fulfilled and the barking noise has not improved, Council will investigate. Court action may be required to resolve the issue. If you are affected by noise and have been unable to resolve the matter with your neighbour, please speak to Darebin Customer Service for assistance.

[Music ends, fading closing slide of City of Darebin logo, wording the place to live,]

[End of Transcript]