Report a concern or suspected planning breach

Do you think someone is acting without a permit, or perhaps not complying with an approved permit? You have the right to report breaches to us.

When should you report a concern or suspected planning breach?

You can submit a complaint with us if you think someone has:

  • built something without getting a planning permit
  • obtained a permit but they're not complying with its conditions
  • breached the Darebin Planning Scheme or a Section 173 agreement
  • built something that isn't consistent with the endorsed plans.

Examples of breaches or non-compliance may include:

  • window screenings that aren't installed in accordance with the permit
  • changes to approved wall heights
  • illegal use of a property
  • changes to the approved materials and colour finishes
  • relocated plant and equipment
  • change of land use without planning approval (where approval is required)
  • works conducted without getting relevant council planning approval
  • using a business outside hours specified in the permit
  • works on a heritage-zoned property without planning approval.

How to report a breach

You must lodge your complaint in writing by completing our Planning enforcement form. If you need a copy of the form, contact us directly:

Planning Services
Phone: 03 8470 8850

Make sure you include:

  • your name, address, and contact number (so we can advise you of our actions and outcomes)
  • the address of the property in question
  • details of the non-compliance
  • how the activity affects you
  • the outcome you're seeking from us
  • any other relevant information to help us investigate.

We will keep all of your information confidential, in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. However, you may need to give evidence if the matter goes to court.

You can submit your completed form:

  • in person at the customer service counter at Ground Floor, 274 Gower Street, Preston between 8:45am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays)
  • by email to
  • by mail to

    Darebin City Council
    PO Box 91
    Preston, Victoria, 3072

More information

Planning Department
Phone: 03 8470 8850