Learn to swim
We've partnered with Royal Life Saving Victoria to offer the Swim and Survive Program.
The Swim and Survive Program is aligned with the National Swimming and Water Safety Framework. It's a comprehensive swimming and water safety initiative that aims to improve the swimming and water safety skills of all community members. Each program level is structured into skill strands that ensure a balanced, comprehensive and instructional approach to your aquatic education.
Here are some of the best things about our swim school:
- We offer the Royal Life Saving Society endorsed Swim and Survive program
- All of our teachers are Austswim qualified
- Our pools are heated, and we have a 25-metre pool
- We offer a year-round on-going, progressive program
- Classes available across 7 days of the week
- Friendly on-deck supervisors to answer questions and offer support
There really isn't anywhere better to learn to swim in Darebin. Our Swim and Survive program will teach your child, or yourself, vital life skills. Living in Australia, we are surrounded by water. It's part of our lifestyle, so make sure you and your family are safe in and around the water.
Classes on offer
Infant classes for parents and children (6–36 months)
A water familiarisation program for parents and their children aged 6 to 36 months.
Pre-school (3–5 years)
A program that builds water confidence for preschool aged children between the ages of 3-5 years.
School age (5–14 years)
A swimming and water safety program for school aged children between the ages of 5–14 years.
Adult and teenage swimming lessons
You are never too old to learn! Our program offers teenage and adult classes for all levels, from non‑swimmers through to those looking for technique refinement.
Access and inclusion swimming lessons
Reservoir Leisure Centre provides people of all abilities and backgrounds the possibility to participate in swimming lessons
- You'll get an assessment report on your child’s progress each term.
- We offer up to 44 lessons per year.
- You must give two weeks’ notice in person for all swimming lesson cancellations.
You must pay swimming lesson fees paid directly to Reservoir Leisure Centre via direct debit. We charge fees fortnightly through your nominated bank account.
Swim School pricing is listed in the table below:
Swim School fortnightly payments 2022/2023
- You're entitled to swim for free during the week that our swim school is operating.
- If you're currently enrolled in swimming lessons, you can use the RLC pools any time during swim school operating dates.
Please be aware of the following supervision rules:
- Watch around water policy is applicable at all times while at the centre
- Children under the age of 10 must be actively supervised at all times
- Children under the age of 5 must be within arm's reach of a parent/guardian when in the water outside of lessons
- Children under the age of 5 must be collected from lessons by a parent/guardian
We kindly ask parents and guardians to refrain from using mobile phones, reading books or newspapers on pool dreck. These distractions decrease safety of your child in and around the water. We also ask that supervision is maintained in change rooms.
How to get started
All enrolments must be made in person at the centre.
We cannot give accurate information on available class spots until we know your child’s level. Children who are 7 years and older who have previous swim lesson experience will require an assessment by one of our instructors before enrolment. Please call the centre to book an assessment.
If your child is under 7 please talk to one of our reception staff to find out the level appropriate for your child.
These documents will help you get started: