Darebin Aboriginal Advisory Committee
- To register your interest to become a member of the Darebin Aboriginal Advisory Committee, please fill out the expression of interest form.
The purpose of this Committee is to provide advice and recommendations (where appropriate) to Council in relation to:
- Issues and barriers affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community in the Darebin region.
- Input into Council’s policy and decision-making processes.
- Informing, monitoring the implementation of and evaluating delivery of plans including the Darebin Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy and Action Plan and the Darebin Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Action Plan.
- Assisting in the development of future action plans.
The Committee shall have regard to and act in accordance with Council’s strategic objectives and priorities. Specifically, the Committee will have regard to the following strategies, plans, frameworks, policies and plans:
- Community Vision
- Council Plan 2021-2025
- Towards Equality: Equity, Inclusion and Human Rights Framework 2019-2029
- Statement of Commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Towards an Age Friendly Darebin
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy and Action Plan 2017-2027.
Specific Council strategies, frameworks, plans and policies relevant to this Reference Group:
Terms of reference
Composition and membership
This Committee comprises of Councillor(s) appointed by Council annually and a Council Officer nominated by the Chief Executive Officer (both non-voting) and any other persons, and representatives of organisations as determined by resolution of Council and as specified in Appendix A of terms of Reference.
Specified members of Committees (excluding Councillors) shall be appointed to this Committee. Maximum numbers of community committee members can be 11 excluding Council officers. Membership is open to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people who live, work or study in Darebin. Organisations, groups or bodies are ineligible to apply.
All appointments will be for an initial period of 2 years with the option for a further maximum period through to the 30 June in the year following each General Election upon re- application.
A Councillor shall be the Chairperson of the Committee with a nominated community member as Co-Chair.
Presently, Committee comprises of the following Councillors/members:
- Cr. Lina Messina (Co-Chair)
- Cr. Trent McCarthy
- Cr. Gaetano Greco
- Cr. Susan Rennie
- Cr. Susanne Newton
- Cr. Tim Laurence
- Cr. Emily Dimitriades
This Committee comprises of the following members:
- Owen Butler
- Jacob Peluso
- Coen Brown
- Worrelle Blow
- Claire Sadler
- John Brown
- Ellie-Jean Singh
- Alan Brown
- Erica Higgins
To register your interest to become a member of the Darebin Aboriginal Advisory Committee, please fill out the expression of interest form.
Meetings of this committee will be held quarterly unless determined by the Committee Chair and Council Officer in order to allow for the timely consideration and provision of advice to Council on particular, time-sensitive matters from time to time.
Committees may, with the approval of the relevant General Manager, meet more frequently on a limited and specific basis (if required).
The meetings will be closed to public.