Darebin Interfaith Council
The purpose of this Committee is to provide advice and recommendations to Council in relation to:
- Creating opportunities for dialogue between religious leaders and community members of diverse faith background.
- Providing leadership on matters pertaining to interfaith relations, interfaith understanding and cooperation in the City of Darebin.
- Promoting the work of interfaith collaboration and interfaith understanding for the City of Darebin.
- Acting as a source of information and advice to Darebin City Council and the Darebin community on interfaith related matters.
- Facilitating the active engagement of Darebin City Council with its religious leaders and communities of faith.
- Providing opportunities for the Darebin Interfaith Council to support the Darebin Council with the implementation of its Equity and Inclusion Policy and to participate in Council’s consultations, programs, policy developments and community engagement processes.
- Promoting social harmony and cohesion between diverse faith communities and the protection of human rights.
- Working towards eliminating racial and religious prejudice, intolerance and vilification.
The Committee shall have regard to and act in accordance with Council’s strategic objectives and priorities. Specifically, the Committee will have regard to the following strategies, plans, frameworks, policies and plans:
- Community Vision
- Council Plan 2021-2025
- Towards Equality: Equity, Inclusion and Human Rights Framework 2019-2029
- Statement of Commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Towards an Age Friendly Darebin
Terms of reference
Composition and membership
This Committee comprises of Councillor(s) appointed by Council annually and a Council Officer nominated by the Chief Executive Officer (both non-voting) and any other persons, and representatives of organisations as determined by resolution of Council and as specified in Appendix A of terms of Reference.
Specified members of Committees (excluding Councillors) shall be appointed to this Committee. Maximum number of community committee members can be 15 (excluding Councillor and Council Officers). This number may change to support the diverse representation of faiths in Darebin.
All appointments will be for an initial period of 2 years with the option for a further maximum period through to the 30 June in the year following each General Election upon re- application.
A Councillor shall be the Chairperson of the Committee with a Community member as Co-Chair.
Presently, Committee comprises of the following Councillors/members:
Cr. Gaetano Greco (Co-Chair)
Cr. Emily Dimitriades (Proxy)
This Committee comprises of the following members:
Ali Yaser, David Toscano, Devinder Singh, George Frangos, Jamal Mohamed, Judith Pimentel, Linda Yang, Matthew Atkins, Mumin Mohamed, Paul Huglin, Ray Cleary, Sue Maric, Sivaganga Sahathevan, Sue Fisher
Meetings of this committee will be held quarterly unless determined by the Committee Chair and Council Officer in order to allow for the timely consideration and provision of advice to Council on particular, time-sensitive matters from time to time.
Committees may, with the approval of the relevant General Manager, meet more frequently on a limited and specific basis (if required).
The meetings will be closed to the public.