Learn what is considered an animal compliant, how to lodge a complaint and what solutions are available.
In order to make a complaint about a dog or cat's behaviour, the problem must be persistent and unreasonable. You can usually resolve the issue by talking directly with your neighbour first.
Dealing with your neighbour
Minor disagreements about your neighbours' pets are usually better to resolve with your neighbour by yourself. Be reasonable about animal behaviour - all cats like to wander, and all dogs will bark sometimes.
- Don't be too quick to react, wait and see if the problem continues repeatedly.
- Discuss your concerns with your neighbour in a friendly way. Many owners don't realise their pet is being a nuisance to others.
- Try to find a solution that suits both of you.
- The solution might take time to see the benefits, it takes time to train an animal.
To lodge a complaint about a noisy animal in your neighbourhood you must first demonstrate that you have:
- Spoken with your neighbour and tried to resolve the problem with them
- Be prepared to give your name and address, particularly if you'd like to follow up on the issue
- Identified other immediate neighbour(s) that are also affected by the noise and are willing to support your claim, (this may also involve attending court to give evidence)
- Attempted to resolve the issue through an independent party like the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.
Lodging a barking dog complaint with Council
- Refer to the Barking dog complaint information pack
- Inform the pet owner about the issue with their animal
- Complete the Barking dog diary and Noise nuisance complaint form
- Submit the form by post or in-person at any Customer Service Centre.
- Second diary pack
- Third diary pack
It's quick and easy to lodge your barking dog complaint online:
- Your complaint must include a completed Barking dog complaint information pack
- The animal control team will not be able to fully investigate your complaint if you do not include a completed Barking dog complaint information pack
Animal Management Unit
Darebin City Council
PO Box 91
Preston VIC 3072