Change of use
Do you want to change how you use your land or building? Maybe you want to transform a cafe into a gym, or use a currently vacant building for instance. If so you may need to submit a planning permit application for change of use.
Does your change of use need a planning permit?
The Darebin Planning Scheme applies zones to every property in the municipality. Whether you need a planning permit depends on the zoning of the land and any buildings and works you propose.
To find out if you need a planning permit, you can:
- check the zoning and overlays of the site on the VicPlan website
- read the text in the Darebin Planning Scheme.
If you're still not sure if you need a permit, call us on 8470 8850.
If your proposed use needs a planning permit, check out our change of use information sheet.
How to apply
1. It's quick and easy to apply online:
- The first step is to identify your property, then follow the prompts to complete the process.
2. What you'll need to apply online:
So we can process your application efficiently, please ensure you provide:
- payment of the relevant application fee
- a certificate of title produced within the last 90 days. To get a certificate of title, call Land Victoria on 8636 2456 or visit the Landata website.
- a site plan at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200; and
- floor and elevation plans showing (where appropriate):
- the location and layout of existing buildings on the site
- the location and layout of existing buildings on adjoining properties, including the location of external windows, doors and outdoor areas
- how close the site is to residential properties, including details of residential doors, windows and outdoor areas within nine metres of the site
- the current use of all areas of the site
- any existing car parking.
- one copy of the proposed floor plan showing the:
- proposed use for the site
- location and layout of the proposed buildings on the site
- location of all car parking and dimensions of parking spaces (if applicable).
- a written submission that explains and justifies your proposal.
- other relevant information required by our change of use information sheet.
If you also need planning permission for other related activities, such as proposed works or advertising signs, it's best to include them all in the one application. Different applications need different information, so check the relevant guidelines or call us on 8470 8850 for help.