Sale and consumption of alcohol

Find out how to apply for a permit to use land for liquor sale or consumption.

What do you need?

People often confuse planning permits and liquor licenses. In some cases you need a valid planning permit before you can submit your liquor license application.

To find out if you need a permit, visit do I need a planning permit or call us on (03) 8470 8888.

How to apply for a permit

If you know you do not need a planning permit, you can apply for a liquor licence through Liquor Control Victoria.

If we've advised that you need a planning permit, you must apply for your permit before you apply for your liquor licence. To apply for a permit to use land for liquor sale or consumption, follow these four steps:

  1. Complete an Application for planning permit form. If you're not sure what you need, see our checklist.
  2. Work out your fee by checking the fee schedule at our service centre or calling us on (03) 8470 8888.
  3. Prepare your application, making sure you include relevant information such as plans and a written submission.
  4. Lodge your completed in one of these ways:
    • online: pay via our ePathway site
    • mail: send a cheque or money order to PO Box 91, Preston, VIC 3072 (please do not send cash).
    • in person: visit our service centre at 274 Gower Street, Preston between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

How we decide on permits

We consider a range of factors when deciding on your permit. These include the number of other licensed venues in the surrounding area and potential amenity impacts, such as noise and parking.

We also assess your information against the controls in the Darebin Planning Scheme.