Do you want to install advertising signs? Find out how to apply and what to include in your application.

If you want to install advertising signs, you should find out if you need a planning permit first. If so, you must comply with the Darebin Planning Scheme and provide the correct documents in your application.

The Darebin Planning Scheme regulates the display of signs and any related structures. It aims to ensure that signs:

  • fit the amenity and visual appearance of Darebin
  • don't create excessive visual clutter or disorder, or loss of amenity
  • don't adversely affect the natural or built environment
  • don't impact on safety, appearance or efficiency of roads.

Do I need a planning permit for a sign?

This depends on the sign's zoning, location and size. To determine if you need a planning permit, you should:

If you're still not sure if you need a permit, call the planning department on 03 8470 8850.

How to apply

Step 1.It's quick and easy to apply online:

  • The first step is to identify your property, then follow the prompts to complete the process.

Apply for a signage permit

Step 2.What you'll need to apply online:

So we can process your application efficiently, please make sure you have:

  • the relevant application fee
  • a certificate of title from the last 90 days (you can get titles from the Landata website)
  • site and elevation plans at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200, showing:
    • the location of all existing and proposed signs
    • dimensions of the proposed signs, including height, width and depth
    • front, side and rear elevations of the signs (or location on a building if applicable), including height, dimensions and the distance above natural ground level
  • written submission of how your application meets the relevant clause in the Darebin Planning Scheme.
  • other relevant information required by the advertising signs information sheet(PDF, 324KB).

In some cases you may need to provide:

  • the projection of the sign clearance above the footpath and the laneway surface
  • the distance from the sign to the face of the kerb
  • details of any illumination or if it is animated or flashes.

If you need planning permission for other related activities, such as renovations or change of use, it's best to include them in the one application. Different applications need different information, so check the relevant guidelines or call us on 03 8470 8850 for help.