M9: inner Melbourne council alliance
M9 is an alliance of the nine inner Melbourne councils that work cooperatively and collectively advocate for issues and projects of mutual interest.
The councils in the alliance are:
- Darebin City Council
- Hobson’s Bay City Council
- Maribyrnong City Council
- City of Melbourne
- Moonee Valley City Council
- Merri-bek City Council
- City of Port Phillip
- City of Stonnington
- City of Yarra.
The M9 objectives are to:
- undertake strategic, evidence-based, targeted and effective advocacy campaigns
- engage strategically with key decision-makers to advocate on priority areas and build genuine partnership with government representatives
- enable best practice to be shared across Greater Melbourne Councils
- undertake joint partnerships and collective action, particularly where there are market failures and/or policy gaps.
To maximise effectiveness, it was agreed by M9 members to establish six strategic priorities that would ensure advocacy priorities were focused and clear. Following consultation from member Councils, M9 agreed on the below strategic priorities:
- active transport
- affordable housing
- economic recovery
- community resilience
- waste and circular economy
- renewable energy.
Find out more on the M9 website.