Financial assistance options

Get details on our hardship policy, pensioner rebate policy, non ratable land and the Fire Services Property Levy.

Assistance with financial difficulties

If you are experiencing difficulties with paying your rates and charges by the due date, please contact us to discuss an alternative payment arrangement.

  • Do not wait until the due date to contact us if you are facing financial hardship.
  •  If you enter into an alternative arrangement and adhere to the agreement, we will pause any recovery action against the outstanding rates.

Financial hardship policy

If you are experiencing financial hardship, please read the Financial Hardship Policy. Under this policy, Darebin ratepayers can apply to us for assistance with rates or charges levied on a property.

  • Requests for assistance must be in writing, providing full details of the circumstances preventing you from meeting your financial obligations to us. If you would like to speak to us prior to making your application, please call us on 03 8470 8880.
  • If you are ready to make an application for financial hardship assistance, download and fill out our Application for Assistance to Rates Debtor Due to Financial Hardship and return it by post or email as shown at the top of the form.

COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy

For property owners facing COVID-19 difficulties, we've created a COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy to provide relief.

Under this policy, you can contact us to either:

  • Set up a payment plan to help manage the payments.
  • Defer your rate payments with 0% interest.

To set up a payment plan:

Pensioner rate rebate

If you hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (with war widow or TPI classification), and you live at the property shown on the rate notice, you may be eligible for a rebate.

  • Eligible pensioners will receive a rebate from the State Government along with a Darebin Council Rebate.
  • You will also be eligible for a rebate off your Fire Services Property Levy.
  • If a rebate does not show on your rate notice, you can apply for the concession by mail or in person.

Applying in person

Application forms are available at any Customer Service Centre.

  • Simply bring your pension card and fill out the form in person.

Applying by mail

  1. Download the application form from the State Government's Municipal rates concessions page
  2. Add a photocopy of both the front and back of your pension card
  3. Mail the completed form and the photocopy to: City of Darebin, PO Box 91, Preston 3072

Apply for land to be made non-rateable

It's quick and easy to apply online:

Note: 'land' includes the buildings and/or structures on the land.

Apply for land to be made non-rateable

Fire Services Property Levy

From 1 July 2013, all Victorian Councils are required to collect the fire services levy on behalf of the State Government. It is collected as another charge shown on your rates notice.

  • The Fire Services Property Levy will replace the existing insurance-based funding model, as recommended by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission. While we collect this property levy through your rates notice, the money goes directly to the State Government, and not to Council.
  • If you have property insurance, you will no longer pay a fire services levy through your insurance premium. Any insurance policy with a start or renewal date on or after 1 July 2013 should not include a fire services levy. Any insurer that charges a fire services levy after this date would be breaking the law.

More information

Customer Service
Phone: 03 8470 8888